Having practised in Qatar for more than fifteen years, Alan is uniquely well-placed to advise Qatari and international lenders – both conventional and Islamic – in respect of high-end financings and restructurings. Having commenced his career as a project finance lawyer with White & Case in Doha and Riyadh, Alan also now specialises in financing for hotel developments, infrastructure projects, and real estate construction, development and investment both in Qatar and in the GCC more generally. He regularly advises on bespoke Qatar law security arrangements and guarantee structures.
Whilst working with Addleshaw Goddard, he has developed a particularly strong relationship with the region's strongest lender, Qatar National Bank alongside various other prominent Qatari banks and corporates, in particular HSBC, QIB, Commercial Bank and Masraf Al Rayaan. His practice combines Islamic and conventional financing. Alan has, for several years, been a prominent figure in the Qatar legal market, being ranked as a Tier 2 individual in the Chambers directory for the past three years and a Tier 2 individual and Rising Star in the Legal 500 directory for the past two years.
- Advising the Global Facility Agent on a QAR4.5 billion fully syndicated, combined Islamic and conventional financing to a development company sponsored by various Qatar-based corporates and ultra-high net worth individuals. The financing is being used to develop a high-end retail mall and leisure space in the new Lusail City and represents one of the largest projects of its kind ever seen in Qatar
- Representing a conventional Qatari bank in respect of a QAR1.875 billion term loan financing to a Qatari real estate development company secured and guaranteed by personal and corporate sponsors for the purpose of the construction of four hotels in downtown Doha, Qatar
- Advising a conventional Qatari lender in respect of a QAR 2.5 billion financing for the development of a 1 million m² multi-use development, including waterpark, resort hotel, restaurants, retail development, theme park and amenities in anticipation of use both during the FIFA 2022 World Cup in Qatar and beyond
- Advising the Islamic division of a UAE lender in respect of its bespoke US$260 million Islamic working capital and term facility financing for a state oil company. This involved a full suite of Islamic working capital facilities (including wakala, ijara and LC murabaha facilities) together with a term loan murabaha – all under a single common terms agreement
- Advising an international sponsor-backed UAE-incorporated SPV borrower in respect of an AED 170 million acquisition finance arrangement involving the purchase of two UAE schools by means of two parallel ijara financing structures.