Neil has over 25 years of experience in advising on commercial real estate matters. He focusses on property investment, development and asset management work and has particular specialisms in the hotels and student accommodation sectors.
He advises institutional and other investors, property and pension funds on the acquisition, disposal, letting and management of investment properties including long income investments, forward funding, forward purchase and transactions involving income strip leases.
He has a wealth of experience in advising tenants and property occupiers on the acquisition, letting and management of operational properties including offices, logistics, industrial and retail premises. The property occupiers he has worked with include major banks and insurance companies, large building contractors, an international logistics company and a building services company with a UK portfolio of around 500 operational properties.
He has advised local authority and other public and private sector clients on a number of ground breaking development, regeneration and infrastructure projects including one of Scotland's first tax incremental finance projects.
In recent years Neil has developed a particular specialism in the hotels sector through his work for a variety of clients including hotel investors and developers, owners and operators. He has also advised on various student accommodation projects acting for developers, education institutions, forward funders, student accommodation funds and banks.
Neil's experience includes:
- Advising Aviva Investors REaLM Commercial Assets Fund on the forward funding of the £107M Marischal Square, Aberdeen mixed use development
- Advising Redefine International on the Scottish aspects of the £490M AEGON UK portfolio acquisition
- Advising the Ability Group on its hotel investments and developments throughout the UK
- Advising Bricks Capital on the development of their 600+ bed True Glasgow student accommodation facility which was awarded Private Halls of Residence of the Year at the Property Week Student Accommodation Awards 2018
- Advising a joint venture company on the delivery and sale of affordable and midmarket housing through an innovative funding structure involving a long lease to a local authority and forward sale to a fund
- Year Qualified
- Scotland - 1994
- England & Wales - 1998
- University of Glasgow - LLB (Hons) in public law (1991)
- University of Glasgow - Diploma in Legal Practice (1992)
- College of Law - Qualified Lawyers Transfer Test (1998)