Stewart is a Managing Associate in our energy team, specialising in providing legal advice to clients in the energy sector. Having recently joined Addleshaw Goddard from another projects role, Stewart has experience in advising both public and private sector clients on matters such as energy, infrastructure and construction. He has worked with a number of different renewable energy technologies including wind, solar, hydro, biomass, energy from waste, heat and marine.
Stewart has worked with clients such as developers, landowners, investors, financial institutions and public bodies, as well as being seconded to a blue chip energy supplier. He has advised on various energy contracts including power purchase agreements, grid connection agreements, operations and maintenance agreements, management services agreements and heat supply agreements. Stewart also has a strong background in advising on energy M&A transactions and commercial contracts. He has particular experience with onshore wind farm and solar acquisitions, working on a variety of asset and share deals and advising on both the buy and sell sides.
He has advised clients on energy and infrastructure projects and M&A transactions including:
- advising a UK based wind farm developer on a SPV share sale for the development of one of the largest Scottish onshore wind farms to date in a transaction worth £100m, with a particular focus on the corporate and projects aspects of the transaction. This included the drafting and negotiation of a share purchase agreement and disclosure letter
- advising a UK hydroelectric project developer on the purchase of the entire issued share capital of a portfolio of SPV project companies totalling £30m including drafting and negotiating share purchase agreements and ancillaries.
- advising a UK renewable energy investor in relation to the acquisitions of two solar farms and related assets with total value of £13m including the drafting and negotiation of asset purchase agreements, EPC contracts and operations and maintenance agreements, as well as grid connection due diligence.
- advising a UK based wind farm developer on the sale of Scottish onshore wind farm assets to a multinational renewable energy developer in a transaction worth £7m including drafting and negotiating an asset purchase agreement and disclosure letter.
- advising a UK hydroelectric project developer on the acquisition of assets for a Scottish hydroelectric project including the drafting and negotiation of an asset purchase agreement and disclosure letter.
- University of Strathclyde – LLB Honours (2003)
- University of Edinburgh – Diploma in Legal Practice (2012)