Steve advises financial institutions, asset managers and insolvency practitioners on a myriad of contentious issues emanating from banking and insolvency related disputes.
Recent reported case highlights include:
- Bernard Chudley and Others v Clydesdale Bank PLC  EWHC 2177 (Comm) – Steve advised the Defendant bank in respect of claims made against it arising from a fraud perpetrated by one of its customers against innocent third parties.
- Blackwater Services Ltd and Others v West Bromwich Commercial Limited  EWHC 3083 (Ch) – Steve advised West Bromwich Commercial Limited in relation to a challenge of its decision to vary the rate of interest payable by commercial mortgage customers.
- Lukoil Mid-East Ltd v Barclays Bank PLC  EWHC 166 (TCC) – Steve advised Barclays on contractual construction issues relating to an on demand guarantee.
Recent cases have also seen Steve:
- advising a high street bank on its defence to a claim for malicious prosecution;
- advising on claims intimated against financial institutions pursuant to frauds allegedly perpetrated by third parties (application frauds, payment diversion frauds, bank account frauds and romance frauds);
- advising on business as usual complaints against financial institutions (pre and post referral to the Financial Ombudsman Service); and
- representing financial institution clients in retention of title claims, including cases with multi-jurisdictional issues.
Steve also has specific experience of: issues arising from secured and unsecured bank recoveries; managing large scale remediation projects for clients; the rectification of imperfect security; disputed fixed charge receiverships; mis-selling claims in relation to interest rate hedging products and personal investment products; unfair relationship claims against financial institutions pursuant to Section 140 of the Consumer Credit Act; and professional negligence claims against Independent Financial Advisors, Solicitors and Valuers.
- LLB (Hons) – Lancaster University – (2008)
- LPC – College of Law, Chester – (2009)
- Year qualified – 2012