Ranked as a Banking Litigation Next Generation Lawyer in the 2019 edition of Legal 500, Steve advises financial institutions, asset managers and insolvency practitioners on a myriad of contentious issues emanating from banking and insolvency related disputes.
Case highlights include:
- Bernard Chudley and Others v Clydesdale Bank PLC  EWHC 2177 (Comm) – Steve advised the Defendant bank in respect of claims made against it arising from a fraud perpetrated by one of its customers against innocent third parties.
- Blackwater Services Ltd and Others v West Bromwich Commercial Limited  EWHC 3083 (Ch) – Steve advised West Bromwich Commercial Limited in relation to a challenge of its decision to vary the rate of interest payable by commercial mortgage customers.
- Lukoil Mid-East Ltd v Barclays Bank PLC  EWHC 166 (TCC) – Steve advised Barclays on contractual construction issues relating to an on demand guarantee.
- advising a high street bank on its defence to a claim for malicious prosecution;
- advising on claims intimated against financial institutions pursuant to frauds allegedly perpetrated by third parties (application frauds, payment diversion frauds, bank account frauds and romance frauds);
- advising on business as usual complaints against financial institutions (pre and post referral to the Financial Ombudsman Service); and
- representing financial institution clients in retention of title claims, including cases with multi-jurisdictional issues.
Steve also has specific experience of: issues arising from secured and unsecured bank recoveries; managing large scale remediation projects for clients; the rectification of imperfect security; disputed fixed charge receiverships; mis-selling claims in relation to interest rate hedging products and personal investment products; unfair relationship claims against financial institutions pursuant to Section 140 of the Consumer Credit Act; and professional negligence claims against Independent Financial Advisors, Solicitors and Valuers.
- Year Qualified
- LLB (Hons) – Lancaster University – (2008)
- LPC – College of Law, Chester – (2009)
"Managing associate Steve Walpole is very hardworking, personable and pleasant, and always on top of the law. He explores solutions creatively, and always keeps his focus on the practical needs and aims of the client"
Legal 500 (2020)
"a highly tenacious and energetic lawyer with excellent tactical skills and an ability to know when to fight and when to negotiate"
Legal 500 (2019)