Janie focuses her practice on international arbitration, complex commercial litigation and cross-border investigations with an emphasis on Asia. She represents clients in a range of contentious matters including those relating to cross-border fraud, enforcement of arbitral awards and judgments, insolvency, intellectual property rights, M&A deals, private equity investments, product liability, professional negligence and shareholders’ disputes. She also counsels clients on regulatory compliance, bribery and/or corruption issues and assists with pre-acquisition due diligence. Janie is a member of the Hong Kong Law Society Arbitration Committee.
- Representing a consortium of investors in an arbitration under the HKIAC’s Administered Arbitration Rules arising from a dispute with a South Korean company concerning the acquisition of a social casino business;
- Representing a consortium of investors in an ad hoc arbitration under the UNCITRAL Rules arising from a dispute with a group of Chinese companies concerning a real estate and retail business in mainland China, obtaining an award in favour of the consortium and enforcing it in the Cayman Islands, Hong Kong and mainland China;
- Representing a KOSDAQ-listed company in an arbitration under the ICC Rules arising from a dispute with a Philippines company concerning a joint venture in the solar industry;
- Representing a private equity fund in an arbitration under the UNCITRAL Rules arising from a dispute with a Chinese company concerning a telecommunications investment;
- Advising a state-owned power company in an arbitration under the SIAC rules arising from a dispute with a Spanish company concerning technology contracts.
- Acting for a Taiwanese company in multiple high court proceedings arising from a dispute over the control in a Hong Kong listed company;
- Acting for an Indian pharmaceutical in relation to a patent dispute against a Swiss pharmaceutical.
- Acting for victims of CEO fraud / business e-mail compromise scams to recover funds fraudulently transferred to bank accounts in Hong Kong;
- Obtaining orders for the taking of evidence in Hong Kong pursuant to letters of requests issued by foreign courts.
Enforcement of Awards and Judgments
- Acting for a Dubai-based company in pursuing multi-jurisdictional claims arising from a substantial fraud perpetrated through metal trading and financing contracts, securing injunctive relief in aid of enforcement and enforcing LCIA awards in Hong Kong;
- Acting for a Hong Kong-based conglomerate in enforcing judgments against a California technology company, its founder and associates issued by courts in the United States, Canada, Singapore and Japan and conducting a multi-jurisdictional asset tracing exercise to enforce the judgments;
- Acting for a U.S. company in enforcing an AAA award against a Hong Kong listed company.
White Collar Crime
- Conducting internal investigations in China and India for a NYSE-listed retail corporation following allegations concerning potential violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA);
- Conducting internal investigations in Macau and China for a NYSE-listed property developer following whistle blower allegations concerning potential FCPA violations in relation to businesses in the entertainment and real estate sectors acquired through a consultant;
- Conducting internal investigations for a Hong Kong-listed property developer in connection with potential bribes paid to government officials in Thailand;
- Advising a former executive of an investment bank in connection with government investigations into the bank's hiring practices in Asia;
- Acting for an individual in a money laundering investigation arising from substantial remittances from bank accounts in Australia to Hong Kong.
- Professional Memberships
- Hong Kong Law Society
- Member of the Hong Kong Law Society Arbitration Committee
- International Compliance Association.
- The University of Hong Kong – Postgraduate Certificate in Laws
- The University of Hong Kong – Bachelor of Laws
- The University of Hong Kong – Bachelor of Business Administration
- Queen's University (Canada) – Bachelor of Arts (Psychology)
- Qualification details
- Year Qualified - Hong Kong (2006)
- Year Qualified - England and Wales (2007) - non-practising