Janie focuses her practice on international arbitration, complex commercial litigation and cross-border investigations with an emphasis on Asia. She represents clients in a range of contentious matters including those relating to cross-border fraud, enforcement of arbitral awards and judgments, insolvency, intellectual property rights, M&A deals, private equity investments, product liability, professional negligence and shareholders’ disputes. She also counsels clients on regulatory compliance, bribery and/or corruption issues and assists with pre-acquisition due diligence. Janie is a member of the Hong Kong Law Society Arbitration Committee.
- Representing a consortium of investors in an arbitration under the HKIAC’s Administered Arbitration Rules arising from a dispute with a South Korean company concerning the acquisition of a social casino business;
- Representing a consortium of investors in an ad hoc arbitration under the UNCITRAL Rules arising from a dispute with a group of Chinese companies concerning a real estate and retail business in mainland China, obtaining an award in favour of the consortium and enforcing it in the Cayman Islands, Hong Kong and mainland China;
- Representing a KOSDAQ-listed company in an arbitration under the ICC Rules arising from a dispute with a Philippines company concerning a joint venture in the solar industry;
- Representing a private equity fund in an arbitration under the UNCITRAL Rules arising from a dispute with a Chinese company concerning a telecommunications investment;
- Advising a state-owned power company in an arbitration under the SIAC rules arising from a dispute with a Spanish company concerning technology contracts.
- Acting for a Taiwanese company in multiple high court proceedings arising from a dispute over the control in a Hong Kong listed company;
- Acting for an Indian pharmaceutical in relation to a patent dispute against a Swiss pharmaceutical.
- Acting for victims of CEO fraud / business e-mail compromise scams to recover funds fraudulently transferred to bank accounts in Hong Kong;
- Obtaining orders for the taking of evidence in Hong Kong pursuant to letters of requests issued by foreign courts.
Enforcement of Awards and Judgments
- Acting for a Dubai-based company in pursuing multi-jurisdictional claims arising from a substantial fraud perpetrated through metal trading and financing contracts, securing injunctive relief in aid of enforcement and enforcing LCIA awards in Hong Kong;
- Acting for a Hong Kong-based conglomerate in enforcing judgments against a California technology company, its founder and associates issued by courts in the United States, Canada, Singapore and Japan and conducting a multi-jurisdictional asset tracing exercise to enforce the judgments;
- Acting for a U.S. company in enforcing an AAA award against a Hong Kong listed company.
White Collar Crime
- Conducting internal investigations in China and India for a NYSE-listed retail corporation following allegations concerning potential violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA);
- Conducting internal investigations in Macau and China for a NYSE-listed property developer following whistle blower allegations concerning potential FCPA violations in relation to businesses in the entertainment and real estate sectors acquired through a consultant;
- Conducting internal investigations for a Hong Kong-listed property developer in connection with potential bribes paid to government officials in Thailand;
- Advising a former executive of an investment bank in connection with government investigations into the bank's hiring practices in Asia;
- Acting for an individual in a money laundering investigation arising from substantial remittances from bank accounts in Australia to Hong Kong.
- Advising an investment management firm in relation to its recovery strategy and taking enforcement action against the Kaisa Group.
- Advising liquidators of a group of companies on funding issues and bringing a derivative action against multiple parties in Hong Kong for misconduct committed against the group.
- Applying for the appointment of provisional liquidators of a budget airline in Hong Kong and advising the provisional liquidators in all aspects of the administration.
- Representing liquidators of owners' corporations including applying to the Hong Kong court for directions on complex issues of fact and law, setting up contingency funds, commencing proceedings, enforcing judgments and applying for a permanent stay in the winding-up proceedings.
- "Demystifying Arbitrators", The Impact Lawyers, May 2020
- "BAC Arbitration Rules 2019 – a Reflection", Lexis PSL Arbitration, September 2019
- "Destination Hong Kong – Creation of a New Legal Hub", LexisNexis, September 2015
- "BAC in Business – What Do the Revised Beijing Rules Mean? LexisNexis, April 2015
- Professional Memberships
- The Law Society of Hong Kong
- Hong Kong Law Society Arbitration Committee
- The Law Society of England and Wales
- International Compliance Association