Catriona is a banking partner and provides specialist banking advice to many of the major banks in the UK and a variety of corporate borrowers.
Based in the Aberdeen office, Catriona maintains a strong practice handling transactions in the on and offshore renewables, offshore supply chain and shipping sectors, together with dealing with more general corporate banking matters for clients.
Her finance experience includes specialist ship finance, conventional and Islamic financing structures and bond issues, and she deals regularly across multiple jurisdictions and time zones.
- Acting for the borrower on a bespoke, highly complex financing arrangements to enable the purchase of 4 petroleum licence interests in the North Sea and subsequent finance arrangements required within the acquired trading business
- Acting for the borrower on the original financing, development, construction, operation and, ultimately, refinancing of (at the time of construction), the UK's largest on-shore community owned windfarm including full project security package, power purchase arrangements and managing complex local (Isle of Lewis) crofting and land issues
- Acting for an institutional lender in the re-banking of an oil and gas supply chain business with significant business in America and Canada which involved the re-negotiation of the existing commercial position with a private equity sponsor
- Acting for a significant hospitality business in putting in place new revolving credit facilities to be used to refinance existing portfolio debt and providing a hunting facility for further acquisitions
- Acting for a UK institutional lender on the amendment of existing facilities with an oil and gas supply chain group of businesses which was undergoing some significant rationalisation in their business, driven by a private equity sponsor
- Acting for the lender restructuring debt arrangements with a hotel chain including re-negotiating franchise and management arrangements with a major global hotel brand
- Acting for an oil and gas supply chain client putting in place their new working capital and bond facilities with a Norwegian lender
- Acting as Scots counsel on a financing being offered by a Norwegian lender to a Scottish borrowing, financing the construction and pre-delivery instalments of a new fishing trawler built at a European shipyard
- Acting as Scots counsel on a part Islamic and part conventional financing arrangement for an offshore vessel owning company based in the Middle East
- Year Qualified
- Diploma in Legal Practice, University of Aberdeen
- LLB, University of Aberdeen
- Professional memberships
- Law Society of Scotland
"Catriona Smith provided us with first class legal advice and showed considerable commercial acumen when supporting BT on renewable energy transactions. Her hard work and diligence were also very notable."
BT, Head of Partnership Development for BT’s Wind of Change Programme
"Catriona's skills as a lawyer, including her great command of the financial and contractual detail, combined with her ability to cut to the important issues, were a huge asset to Point and Sandwick. Her drive and enthusiasm was the key to getting the Beinn Ghrideag project delivered."
Calum MacDonald, Project Manager, Point and Sandwick Power
"Catriona Smith is recommended."
Legal 500 (2015)