Alistair is an associate in the corporate and M&A team at Addleshaw Goddard. He is an experienced corporate lawyer, with three years' experience in Qatar and is based permanently in Qatar. He acts on a wide range of corporate matters, including M&A acquisitions and disposals, group reorganisations, joint ventures and general commercial advisory matters. His particular focus is on private equity transactions. Alistair regularly advises companies, private equity houses, management teams and high net worth individuals.
Prior to joining Addleshaw Goddard Alistair worked for another international law firm in Doha. Prior to that, he worked in the Channel Islands and London with leading international law firms.
- Assisting the governmental owner of a circa QAR 500m hotel development by drafting a build operate transfer agreement and associated operator agreements (including management, licence, marketing services agreements) and a technical services agreement, then assisting with project managing the construction of the hotel by hosting weekly project management calls, following up on the drafting of the relevant construction contracts and finance agreements whilst drafting inter-party correspondence ensuring that the operator kept to its contractual agreements (and reminding the owner of its obligations to deliver certain items, such as designs) by key milestones.
- Providing regular legal updates to a key client on relevant legal updates in their sector (transport) and the potential impact upon their business.
- Advising a number of clients on setting up in the State of Qatar (and the impact of legislative changes liberalising the potential foreign ownership of a company so that foreign individuals can potentially hold 100% of the shares of a company incorporated in the State of Qatar).
- Advising clients on alternatives to setting up in the State of Qatar, for instance setting up in a Free Zone, the Science and Technology Park or the Qatar Financial Centre.
- Advising on an initial USD 800m initial investment into a company providing sustainable housing across Africa and Asia for the UN, as a part of a wider USD 2.5bn investment, which included the negotiation of a sale and purchase agreement, shareholders' agreement and articles of association.
- Drafting share transfer documentation for a number of clients, as well as drafting and negotiating shareholder agreements.
- Drafting an agreement, and legal opinions in connection with the same, in relation to the provision by a governmental body of a subsidy to a transport operator.
- Reviewing hotel operator agreements for ten hotels to advise the owner as to their termination rights under the same.
- Advising a bank on the disposal of six tower blocks to a purchaser, together with an associated call option.
- Advising a governmental body on the sale of a top-tier European football club.
- Drafting pro-forma agreements for governmental bodies, and in connection with the World Cup.
- Conducting due diligence enquiries on behalf of the prospective purchasers of a wide range of companies from a range of sectors, including the automotive, computer, investment, medical services and transport sectors.
- Advising on investments by clients into investment funds, and reviewing and commenting on limited partnership agreements, articles of association, shareholders' agreements and side letters as applicable.
- Attending a number of board meetings and shareholders' meetings, and preparing draft resolutions for the same, in relation to a number of large companies.
- Providing company secretarial services for a number of clients.
- Drafting a number of commercial agreements including agency and licence agreements for distributors and licensees.
- Professional Memberships
- Solicitor of the Supreme Court of England and Wales