Sang Joon is an Associate specialising in disputes relating to oil, gas, construction and engineering projects. He has been involved in a number of significant high-value disputes for leading international contractors arising out of a variety of energy and infrastructure projects around the world. Sang Joon has primarily acted in arbitration, both ad-hoc and under the ICC, LMAA, UNCITRAL, LCIA and HKIAC rules. He also has High Court experience including the Technology & Construction Court.
Disputes that Sang Joon has dealt with have involved jurisdictions in West Africa, the US, the Middle East, Eastern Europe and South East Asia.
Sang Joon is also an integral part of the Korea Business Group having regularly advised clients from South Korea.
Sang Joon's experience includes:
- Representing an international contractor in an ICC arbitration concerning disputes arising from the termination of FIDIC (World Bank) contracts for the upgrading and repair of motorways in Eastern Europe.
- Advising a leading contractor on a dispute concerning the construction and commissioning of an offshore LNG regasification platform, subsea connection pipeline and onshore receiving facility in the Middle East.
- Advising a major fabrication company on a complex technical dispute concerning the fabrication and build of topside modules for platforms in the North Sea.
- Assisting an oil services company with recovering the outstanding payments for the installation, operation and maintenance work on an early production facility in Kurdistan.
- Assisting a leading drilling contractor in an arbitration brought by a heavy engineering company for wrongful termination of a semi-submersible rig construction contract.