Sam is a specialist advisor to the Rail and Transport sector with a background in Commercial and Corporate law. Prior to joining Addleshaw Goddard, Sam worked for ScotRail for 10 years as the Head of Legal/Franchise.
Drawing on his extensive in-house experience working within the rail sector to provide pragmatic and commercially focused advice, Sam works with the wider Addleshaw Goddard transport team to advise our growing client base within Scotland and throughout the UK.
While working for ScotRail, Sam:
- Oversaw all aspects of the commercial management of the ScotRail Franchise agreement, the largest commercial contract awarded by Scottish Ministers. Sam's experience in working closely with both private sector operators and owning groups and Transport Scotland/Scottish Government in this role give him the insight into the priorities and governance of both our private sector and public sector clients within this sector to advise them effectively.
- Developed an extensive knowledge of rail industry projects, regulation, contracts and claims through the management of day-to-day legal matters.
- Acted as the business project lead for the successful transition of the ScotRail franchise back into public ownership as ScotRail Trains Limited.
Since joining Addleshaw Goddard Sam has been able to apply his experience to provide advice to our wider client base on a number of related issues such as:
- The proposed re-structuring of a Scottish transport organisation;
- Operator of Last Resort contingency planning for a rail operation; and
- Negotiation of a potential concession agreement for transport services in Scotland.
- University of Edinburgh, LLB (Hons) - 2001