Paul is an experienced real estate lawyer with a breadth and depth of knowledge in a number of property related sectors. He always works hard to exceed client's expectations and has been described as commercial, forward thinking and client-focused. Paul deals in all areas of commercial real estate but has developed a keen interest in investment and retail/leisure.
Paul has a diverse practice regularly acting for developers, tenants, investors and funding institutions in retail, leisure, banking, investment and development deals. His varied work allows him to move across all asset types and as a trusted advisor to his clients he is often involved in deals right through from inception to conclusion.
On the retail and leisure side, Paul acts for a number of tenants including Oxfam, PDSA, Tapi Carpets, Quiz Clothing, The Works Stores and Tim Hortons Coffee.
On the investment side Paul has acted for some of the more established funds including Trinova Real Estate and Bridges Ventures and regularly acts for some more local investors who remain active in Scotland.
Recent experience has included:-
- Acted on behalf of an offshore Guernsey client purchasing a 55-bedroom care home investment in Edinburgh at a price of c £3 million
- Acts on behalf of Quiz, The Works Stores Limited, PDSA and Oxfam relative to their ongoing management of their Scottish property portfolios to include new leases, surrenders, variations and re-gears
- Acted on behalf of Tapi Carpets Limited and Tim Hortons relative to their aggressive UK expansion plans
- Acted on behalf of Bridges Ventures on the Scottish property aspects of a UK-wide acquisition of 50 business centres with a total value of £84 million. This complex transaction involved in excess of 2000 business tenants operating out of a variety of properties across the country
- Acted on behalf of offshore clients relative to the Scottish property aspects of a UK-wide RBS portfolio purchase of in excess of 50 premises with a total value of in excess of £40 million and thereafter sold several of the Scottish properties at auction
- Led a team of lawyers on the Scottish Property aspects of Trinova Real Estate's £44 million purchase on behalf of Israeli investors of 150 Fountainbridge, Edinburgh, being Lloyd's headquarters in Edinburgh
- Acting on behalf of a private family office in acquiring 2 office, 1 industrial and 1 retal investment totalling c £30million
- Led a team of lawyers on the acquisition for Mapeley of Portcullis House, Glasgow for c £23million
- Instructed on behalf of an energy based client in acquiring sites for large scale battery projects
- Professional Memberships
- Investment Property Forum
- Law Society of Scotland
- Previous member of Spifox
"In the commercial property legal process it is important to have a solicitor who has an eye for detail but doesn't let the minutae get in the way of a deal. Your solicitor has to be 'commercial' in their approach to the transaction and with Paul, you know you aren't going to miss an important issue, he focusses on the key issues, tries not to hinder a deal and you should have a decent laugh along the way, isn't that what it's all about?"
Christian Bruce, Partner at Redpath Bruce LLP