Barry is a Legal Director in the Real Estate division and is based in the firm’s Edinburgh office.
Having spent eight years working in the City, latterly in the London office of a large US firm, Barry is qualified in England & Wales and in Scotland.
Barry focuses his practice on all types of complex real estate transactions including acquisitions, disposals, leasing, asset management, development and property finance. Barry has a wealth of experience in the retail sector having acted for numerous owners of shopping centres and retail parks across the UK.
- Acting for a Jersey fund on its £140m acquisition of a 50% stake in a prime shopping centre in Exeter
- Acting for a Luxembourg entity on the purchase of a shopping park in Borehamwood for £105m
- Acting for a Jersey Fund in the £78m sale of a retail park in Farnborough and separately on the £57m sale of Kingsway Retail Park, Derby
- Acting for a UK Fund on the purchase of the long leasehold interests in two industrial units in the Midlands for £25m
- Acting for a Hong Kong listed client, in the purchase of an office building in the west end of London for £22m and the subsequent re-development and pre-letting of the property to a restaurant operator and an office occupier
- Acting for a major UK investment fund in the £40 million disposal of a prominent office building in Manchester
- Acting for a FTSE100 property company in the pre-letting of a major city-centre retail development in Leeds including negotiating agreements for lease with a variety of national and international retailers (often involving complex rent phasing, co-tenancy and turnover rent provisions)
- Acting for a major UK investment fund in the sale of two business parks in the Greater London area.
- Acting for a FTSE100 property company in the negotiation of a development agreement with an international hotel chain to create a 128 bedroom hotel in Shepherd's Bush, London
- Acting for a global fashion retailer on the leasing of their stores in Great Marlborough Street W1, Westfield London, Kensington and Canary Wharf
- Acting on a variety of different corporate occupiers taking leases of office premises including a big four accountancy firm, an international software company, an international business solutions company and a firm of patent attorneys.
- Professional memberships
- The Law Society (England & Wales)
- Law Society of Scotland
- Year qualified
2006 (Scotland), 2011 (England & Wales)
- College of Law, London - Qualified Lawyer Transfer Test (2010)
- Glasgow Graduate School of Law - Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice (2003)
- University of Strathclyde - LL.B. (Hons) (2002)