Marcel is a Managing Associate in the London construction and engineering team. He has non-contentious and contentious construction experience working through the life cycle of the project across commercial, industrial, major projects, infrastructure, residential, student accommodation and aged care property development in Australia and the United Kingdom. Marcel has acted for a range of clients including government entities, consortiums, employers, funders, project companies, developers, contractors and consultants.
Marcel has experience in drafting and advising on a variety of construction documentation including bespoke project deeds and ancillary documents, development agreements, agreements for lease, alliance agreements and construction management agreements and experience with standard forms JCT, NEC, IChemE, FIDIC and Australian Standard. Further, Marcel has acted in all forms of dispute resolution including adjudications, arbitrations, mediation, litigation and alternative dispute resolution.
- Advising Battersea Power Station Development Company on all Phases of the £9 billion 42-acre redevelopment of Battersea Power Station on a range of construction matters including:
a secondment to BPS working in-house as the Senior Construction Lawyer;
advising on the Development Funding Agreement for the £1.6 billion sale of the Battersea Power Station (which the team won Real Estate Team of the year 2020 at the Legal Business Awards);
advising on the Agreement for Lease with Apple for 500,000 sq ft and variations to the Agreement for Lease;
advising on the £600 million refinancing of the Phase 3 works; and
preparation of Trade Contracts, variations to the Trade Contracts and variations to the Early Works Subcontract.
- Acting for a developer JV in relation to the regeneration of the Springvale mental health hospital which includes the construction of 2 new mental health hospitals and the construction of over 1500 houses.
- Advised UK's leading provider of on-campus residential and academic infrastructure UPP on their portfolio of over 35,000 rooms across the UK and most recently on the procurement of a combined 2,432 rooms across 4 phases at Swansea University (which the team won Professional Team of the Year 2018 at the Property Week Awards).
- Acting for Mount Anvil across their £1.5 billion portfolio London together accounting for more than 6,000 homes and significant retail and office space, including 12 schemes Keybridge House, Keybridge School, Gillender Street, Excel stages 1, 2 and 3, New Cross Gate, Whitechapel and Friary Park.
- Advised Shell International Petroleum Company Limited in relation to the £1.3 billion redevelopment of the Shell Centre and surrounding area.
- Acting for Scape in relation to a number of student accomodation developments throughout the UK including Queen Mary University in London, Preston Barracks in Brighton and a new development in Guilford.
- Advising the Royal Liverpool Hospital in relation to the conversion of the building contract from a design and build contract to a management contracting contract as a result of the insolvency of Carillion.
- Acted for Roads and Maritime Services on the following road and bridge projects: Grafton Clarence River Crossing Project (a AUD$240 million 525m road and rail bridge) and the Hospital Road Connectivity and Network Enhancement Project (AUD$400 million), on the Easing Sydney’s Congestion project (AUD$2.5 billion).
- Acted for Transport of NSW on the train tracks, maintenance facility and rolling stock for the New Intercity Fleet project (AUD$2.8billion) and the Sydney Light Rail (AUD$2.1 billion).
- Advised a consortium comprising of Advisian, Aurecon, Mace and Seymour Whyte in the EOI and RFT stages of a bid for the major roads project (AUD$4.9 billion).
- Advised Quattro Ports on the construction of the Port Kembla Grain facility which was being developed in conjunction with NSW Ports and Qube Holdings and acting for Qube Ports on the subsequent disputes.
- Society of Construction Law