Finlay qualified as a solicitor in Scotland in 2021, having trained with Addleshaw Goddard in the Edinburgh and Glasgow offices where he spent time in the Business Support and Restructuring, Finance, Corporate, Financial Regulation and Commercial Real Estate departments. Upon qualification, Finlay joined the Financial Regulation team and is now based in the London office.
Finlay focuses on a variety of matters across financial markets, insurance, payments and regulated lending. Finlay's recent experience includes:
- Advised a large financial institution in launching its merchant acquiring services across a number of European jurisdictions.
- Advised a leading insurer on adopting an agency model for the distribution of its products, in particular whether loans made to its agents would be classed as regulated credit.
- Advised a large financial institution on whether payment holidays granted to mortgage customers experiencing financial difficulties as a result of COVID-19 would result in the mortgages being classified as 'credit impaired', and what Prudential Regulation Authority reporting obligations would result from such classification.
- Advised a syndicate of financial institutions in the refinancing Drax Group plc through the issue of a €250 million Eurobond.
- Advised and assisted Genincode plc in its Initial Public Offering and flotation on the London Stock Exchange's Alternative Investment Market.