Laura handles a wide range of commercial disputes for clients (corporate bodies and private individuals) in various sectors including property, social housing, insolvency, banking and corporate recovery. She has a particular interest in advocacy and regularly appears in sheriff courts throughout Scotland.
Laura is keen to utilise her advocacy skills for the benefit of her clients although is aware of the fact that negotiation and mediation can be preferable to court action and has settled a number of disputes in that manner.
Laura also tutors the civil litigation graduate course on the Diploma in Professional Legal Practice at the University of Strathclyde. The course includes: drafting legal proceedings; the framework of court procedures; pleading; jurisdiction; the different types of process in the sheriff courts and Court of Session and issues that arise in the settlement of civil litigation.
Laura also volunteers annually as a judge for heats of The Law Society of Scotland's Donald Dewar Memorial Debating Tournament which is a school debating competition culminating in a final in the Debating Chamber of the Scottish Parliament.
- Representing large social housing client in multi-day tribunal hearing and securing positive decision on its behalf.
- Acting for the UK's largest independent business water retailer in a range of complex legal disputes arising from defended court actions for payment.
- Pursuing claim for damages for a commercial tenant arising from professional negligence in the context of a lease re-negotiation and achieving settlement through commercial mediation process.
- Advising in relation to potential significant breach of warranty claim under a share purchase agreement and potential payment claim for substantial deferred consideration arising under same agreement.
- Advising commercial client in relation to financial irregularities arising from director's exit from company.
- Professional memberships
- The Law Society of Scotland
- University of Glasgow – LLB (Hons)
- Glasgow Graduate School of Law – Dip LP
- Year qualified – 2012
"We have received crystal clear advice, quickly when needed, and were well represented in relation to a complaint to the Homeowner Housing Panel (now First Tier Tribunal). Our position was defended robustly and with positive effect."
Lorna Dunsmore, Commercial Services Manager at Link Housing Association Ltd