Jo is a Managing Associate within the Commercial Services Group, based in our Edinburgh office.
As a senior member of our specialist data protection team, Jo regularly leads on complex data protection advisory matters, including global compliance audits, contentious data subject access requests and multi-jurisdiction data security breaches. Jo also provides strategic advice on marketing and e-commerce projects, in particular on how to achieve compliance with requirements under the PECRs and upcoming e-Privacy, online safety and digital services legislation.
Jo also regularly speaks on data, tech and AI topics at external events, and has delivered training on these topics to clients across the UK and Ireland.
Recent experience includes:
- advising a global gaming platform provider on a number of data and digital instructions, including support with a multi-jurisdiction data security breach, and advice and support with a variety of compliance queries involving, data protection, consumer, online safety and e-Privacy requirements
- data protection lead on the Access to Cash project, including preparing key documents such as data protection impact assessments, privacy notices, data protection policies and data protection terms in transactional documents, leading workshops and fielding all data protection queries from the banks and building societies involved in the project
- advising a global postal service and courier brand on a data protection gap analysis exercise for all of their UK-based subsidiaries
- advising a global tobacco products manufacturer on a review of all of the template contracts used across their global operations, IT, research and new product development teams
- advising a global financial services platform provider on business-as-usual data protection compliance matters, including negotiating data protection terms in contracts with key suppliers and clients, drafting contractual amendments required to accommodate international transfers of personal data post-Brexit, advising on intra-group servicing and data sharing and data processing arrangements, and supporting them with contentious data subject access requests
- advising a high street bank on a number of contentious data subject access requests and supporting them with their international transfers review and remediation project, including strategic advice on risk scoring, managing the completion of a number of transfer risk assessments and advising on appropriate terms for contractual remediation to implement revised SCCs with the UK addendum
- advising a high street clothing retailer on data protection matters arising from the launch of their Click&Collect e-commerce offering in the UK and Ireland
- Professional Memberships
- Law Society of Scotland