Richard is a Managing Associate in the Construction, Engineering and Environmental Group. Richard specialises in contentious construction and engineering work.
Richard has experience in acting for all parties in the construction chain in relation to a wide range of disputes including, payment, defects, design liability, benchmarking, delay, extensions of time and liquidated damages. He acts for clients in all forms of dispute resolution including dispute board proceedings, arbitration, adjudication, mediation, and TCC proceedings. Richard regularly provides clients with strategic project advice, risk management and analysis advice, together with dispute avoidance strategies.
Richard has particular experience in complex construction disputes in the international arena. Richard has advised clients in construction projects and disputes in jurisdictions as diverse as Uganda, Angola, Israel, Japan, Korea, USA and New Zealand together with a number of countries in the Middle East and Europe.
In addition to acting for clients in disputes across a range of jurisdictions, Richard also advises on disputes arising from PFI/PPP Projects.
- Acting for a Korean and Japanese JV (Contractor) in DB proceedings concerning a number of disputes on the Nile bridge and infrastructure project in East Africa.
- Acting for a Contractor in an (QICCA) Arbitration concerning a dispute involving a luxury hotel and apartments.
- Advising New Zealand construction company in respect of a dispute with a UK company concerning the Vanuatu International Shipping Project.
- Advising a UK company concerning a dispute with a South African company with regard to the monies outstanding in respect of a project in Korea.
- Acting for a UK subsidiary of a large American company concerning a claim for breach of contract. Proceedings brought in both the High Court and Court of Appeal prior to a settlement being reached.
- Acting for a national UK building supplier in a claim brought against them in the TCC which subsequently settled at mediation.
- Acting for a LDA located in Portugal concerning a dispute which had arisen from the development of commercial premises into residential apartments. Settled matter at Mediation 4 months prior to Trial.