Jonathan has extensive experience in Commercial litigation. Jonathan practices in both the High Court and the Commercial Court and specialises in complex and high stakes contractual and non-contractual disputes. He has led a wide range of commercial litigation cases involving corporate espionage, shareholder disputes, insurance disputes and mis-selling of financial instruments. Jonathan also practices in the area of Administrative Law and had been involved in a number of procurement challenges, judicial review cases and constitutional actions.
Jonathan has significant experience in advising liquidators, receivers, examiners, and creditors of distressed companies in relation to litigation arising from corporate insolvency and restructuring.
Jonathan has particular experience in the finance, real estate, retail and consumer sector and Transport sector. His clients include multinational corporations, financial institutions, and high-profile individuals.
Jonathan is a former president of the Southern Law Association, a former member of the Council of the Law Society, the Law Society’s Regulation of Practice Committee and the External Advisory Board for the Faculty of Law, University College Cork. He has lectured and tutored in Insolvency Law for the professional practice course with the Law Society of Ireland. Jonathan has also lectured for the Law Society’s Diploma in Commercial litigation.
Commercial Litigation includes acting for:
- Red Flag Consulting Ltd and other defendants in litigation taken by Denis O’Brien where he alleges a wide-ranging conspiracy to do him harm. The case has generated multiple judgments on the law of discovery, the Norwich Pharmacal jurisdiction and joinder of parties in the High Court and Court of Appeal.
- Karl Brophy and Gavin O’Reilly in breach of privacy proceedings against Mediahuis (formerly INM plc) in relation to the well-publicised data security event involving the removal of our client’s personal data and an unauthorised investigation into a group of people known as the ‘INM 19’.
- A client in relation to his appearance before the Commission of Investigation into the Irish Bank Resolution Corporation (IBRC) and in particular the module dealing with the well-publicised Siteserv transaction.
- A global quantitative trading firm in respect of proceedings taken to arrest a corporate raid of staff and confidential information and seek damages for losses incurred.
- The largest road haulage firm in Ireland in respect of proceedings against the State for the recovery of losses arising from historical overcharging by the State of vehicle license duty.
Insolvency Litigation experience includes acting for:
- A liquidator in respect of proceedings against the directors of one of Ireland’s largest sports apparel retailers and its holding company seeking, among other reliefs, a contribution from the holding company and orders declaring the directors personally responsible for the debts of the insolvent company.
- A liquidator of a group of companies in respect of proceedings against the principal director to recover, from the director, significant amounts improperly transferred while the companies were insolvent.
- Admitted as a Solicitor in 2007
- Higher Diploma in Applied Economics, University College Cork, 1996
- BA, University College Cork, 1995
- Professional Memberships
- Law Society of Ireland
- Member of Insol Europe
- Member of Restructuring and Insolvency Ireland
- Member of the Dublin Solicitor’s Bar Association
"Jonathan is a very reliable, highly recommended dispute resolution solicitor. He is an excellent communicator who always responds very quickly to my queries. He is tactically astute and also alive to client concerns, including minimising costs as much as possible and providing regular detailed billing/costs updates which is very important to us."
Legal 500 EMEA, 2023
"Jonathan is recommended as a 'Key Lawyer.'"
Legal 500 EMEA, 2023
"Jonathan is a key team member."
Legal 500 EMEA, 2022