Khurram is based in our Dubai Commercial Disputes team.
- International Commercial Arbitration
Represented parties before institutional and ad hoc proceedings under AAA, ADCCAC, CIETAC, DIAC, DIFC-LCIA, HKIAC, ICC, ICDR, LCIA, SCAI, SIAC, QICCA, and UNCITRAL rules. Responsibilities have included drafting submissions, preparing witness statements, conducting procedural hearings, and oral advocacy at trial.
- Dispute Highlights
Construction & Real Estate
- Represented an MEP contractor in a complex joint venture dispute, DIFC-LCIA Rules, DIFC seat, UAE law.
- Advised a real estate developer in connection with an arbitration under ICC Rules, London seat, English law.
- Represented an Omani subcontractor in a dispute under AAA rules against a US military contractor.
- Acted in a major construction dispute involving a state entity and a European contractor, DIAC Rules, Dubai seat, UAE law.
- Acted for a UAE state-owned entity against a Southeast Asian contractor in a complex DIAC arbitration (Dubai seat, UAE governing law) with claims valued at over one billion dollars.
- Assisted in a major construction arbitration, under DIAC rules (Dubai seat, UAE governing law), involving an Extra Low Voltage contract.
- Represented a Saudi respondent in an ad-hoc arbitration (Riyadh seat, Saudi governing law) involving the construction of natural gas processing facilities in Saudi Arabia.
- Represented a Saudi respondent against an Italian claimant under an ICC rules arbitration involving the engineering, construction, and operation of a power plant.
Finance, Shareholder, and M&A Disputes
- Representing a major PR firm at trial, in a dispute involving the valuation of professional services, under DIFC-LCIA Rules, DIFC seat, UAE Law.
- Acted on a complex telecoms acquisition dispute involving arbitration (LCIA, London and NY seats, English and NY governing laws) and litigation proceedings in Russia, England, the United States, Luxembourg, the Seychelles, and the Cayman Islands.
- Advised a Saudi investment house in connection with cross-border claims for misrepresentation and nondisclosure in the context of an acquisition.
- Represented a GCC-based financial institution on a share pledge and regulatory dispute based in Saudi Arabia and the UAE.
- Advised a high-profile US investor on a shareholder dispute under LCIA Rules pertaining to the Russian oil & gas industry.
Trade & Manufacturing Disputes
- Represented a Dubai company in a dispute involving an electronics business under DIFC-LCIA Rules, DIFC seat, English law.
- Advised a US exporter in a procurement dispute against a large Kuwaiti trading company.
- Represented an Australian distributor in a dispute against a US food equipment manufacturer.
- Advised a UAE client on a distributorship dispute against a Swiss manufacturer under DIAC Rules, UAE law.
- Publications and Training
- Publications: Centres in the Middle East need to catch up when it comes to expedited procedures – Practical Law Arbitration Blog (January 2019)
- Completed Business Negotiations Workshop at Northwestern University in Chicago (May 2018).
- Completed FIAA Advocacy Workshop in Hong Kong (March 2016).
- Publication: UK-DIFC Reciprocal Enforceability, The Lawyer Monthly (May 2013).
- Publication: Bridging the Gulf, Commercial Dispute Resolution (April 2013).
- Publication: 13 Things to Know about the New Arbitration Law of Saudi Arabia, SJ Berwin Arbitration Publication: Sans Frontieres (September 2012).
- Publication: book review on EU Accession and Human Rights, Buffalo Human Rights Law Review (April 2007).