Bruce is a Partner based in London and is our Head of Competition. He advises a range of clients on competition law, utility regulation, merger control and EU state aid matters. He has particular expertise in the energy, transport, retail and financial services sectors.
His recent case highlights include:
- Advising on high-profile competition investigations (including construction and e-books) and related applications for anti-trust immunity/leniency
- Advising on complex (Phase II) merger control investigations in the UK (including Omnicell/Surgichem and Alliance Medical/IBA Molecular) and in other jurisdictions, as well as numerous Phase I merger clearances at a UK and EU level
- Advising on a number of high-profile Competition and Markets Authority investigations, including retail banking, payday lending, private motor insurance, domestic electrical goods, Northern Ireland banking and payment protection insurance
- Defending clients in proceedings before the Competition Appeal Tribunal and High Court for damages based on alleged infringements of competition law
- Advising clients in the regulated utility sector (including major network operators) on a range of competition law, regulatory and state aid matters
Bruce is recognised as a leading practitioner in Chambers, International Who's Who and The Legal 500.
“Bruce Kilpatrick gains consistent praise across the board from clients who call him "exceptionally bright, affable, experienced and down to earth”. He has particular experience in market investigations, mergers and state aid."
- Professional memberships
The Competition Law Association (committee member)
- Year qualified: 2000
- King's College London – LLM Module on Competition
- The College of Law, York – Legal Practice Course (Distinction) (this became The University of Law in 2012 and then relocated to Leeds in 2014)
- University of Cambridge – MA in Law (First Class Honours)