Caroline is a dual qualified commercial real estate lawyer who has specialised in cross-border commercial and residential investment property law and estate/investment portfolio management for more than 25 years. After more than 15 years as a partner in HBJ Gateley and another top Scottish law firm, she moved to work in-house as corporate director and company secretary for a Scotch Whisky company and now provides consultancy advice on real estate and regulatory/compliance matters within the drinks industry, with particular expertise in alcohol duties and export regulatory requirements.
- Advised Bank of Scotland's Pension Fund in the acquisition of a number of industrial, office and retail investment portfolios to create a c. £100m real estate fund;
- Represented the UK's largest residential institutional investor, Grainger UK plc, in Scotland;
- Acted for Caledonian Maritime Assets and Highlands & Islands Airports – public interest companies owning the majority of Scotland's ports, ferries and airports – meeting their entire estate management property needs;
- Provides advice to the firm's clients on regulatory/compliance matters within the drinks industry, with particular expertise in HMRC/alcohol duties, customer/supplier due diligence and export regulatory requirements;
- Currently overseeing the creation of two new whisky and gin brands and the establishment of a craft distillery on one of Scotland's most iconic hebridean islands.
- Professional memberships
- Notary Public
- Law Society of Scotland
- Law Society of England and Wales
- Scotch Whisky Association (Corporate Membership)
- Mandarin Chinese (basic)