Richard is a legal director in the real estate team with over 25 years’ experience specialising in real estate development and investment work.
Richard has particular expertise in the healthcare sector, advising on all aspects of property work with particular expertise in Care Homes, Medical Centres and Dental Surgeries. Richard’s clients include investors, operators, funders and developers within the healthcare sector.
Richard also advises developers and investors in the promotion, site acquisition and disposal of all types of commercial and residential property. He acts for a number of clients in the hotel and student accommodation sectors and is also active in the transport sector.
- Advises a hotel group on acquisitions of hotels north of the border. The transactions have varied from the acquisition of existing hotels, with simultaneous Lease variations, the conversion/re-development of existing premises to hotel use and new-builds
- Advises a medical centre investor on the acquisition of medical centres and subsequent lease re-gears and property management matters (including Development Funding Agreements). Richard acts for the investor on Scottish property matters and, as part of this, produced a bespoke suite of Lease documentation incorporating specialist provisions to address the regulatory framework and funding arrangements for medical practices in Scotland
- Advises bodies owned by the Scottish Government in respect of the commercial property aspects of their combined 11 UK Airports and is currently the lead fee earner in planning and implementing the voluntary registration exercise for their properties
- Advises, and is the account manager for, a major ground handling company in the aviation sector on all its property aspects
- Advised the NHP group from its inception in 1994 to the time of its sale in 2014 carrying out a significant number of sale and leaseback transactions, lease variations/re-gears and re-finances, often involving cross-border and off-shore jurisdictional elements. Richard also acted for the client in the Scottish property aspects of corporate sales and refinances of the company on more than one occasion. He advised on the Scottish property aspects of the sale of the NHP group to Formation Capital in one of the largest healthcare deals of recent years, involving the sale of 41 Scottish Care Homes. Richard was responsible for a significant level of property due diligence and the preparation of the Scottish property documentation as well as providing property input into the corporate documentation and dealing with cross-border elements