Richard is a Legal Director in the real estate team with over 25 years’ experience specialising in real estate development and investment work.
Richard has particular expertise in the healthcare sector, advising on all aspects of property work with particular expertise in Care Homes, Medical Centres and Dental Surgeries. Richard’s clients include investors, operators, funders and developers within the healthcare sector.
Richard also advises developers and investors in the promotion, site acquisition and disposal of all types of commercial and residential property. He has also acted for a number of retailers and commercial landlords, mainly in relation to the leasing of retail and office property.
- Advises a land promoter in the promotion of land for residential development including the entry into of Promotion Agreements, the carrying out of full due diligence/site appraisal and the taking of security and acting in the subsequent sale of the sites (including addressing/taking security for any deferred payments and overage etc.).
- Advised the NHP group from its inception in 1994 to the time of its sale in 2014 carrying out a significant number of sale and leaseback transactions, lease variations/re-gears and re-finances, often involving cross-border and off-shore jurisdictional elements. Richard also acted for the client in the Scottish property aspects of corporate sales and refinances of the company on more than one occasion. He advised on the Scottish property aspects of the sale of the NHP group to Formation Capital in one of the largest healthcare deals of recent years, involving the sale of 41 Scottish Care Homes. Richard was responsible for a significant level of property due diligence and the preparation of the Scottish property documentation as well as providing property input into the corporate documentation and dealing with cross-border elements
- Advises a hotel group on acquisitions of hotels north of the border. The transactions have varied from the acquisition of existing hotels, with simultaneous Lease variations, the conversion/re-development of existing premises to hotel use and new-builds.
- Advises a medical centre investor on the acquisition of medical centres and subsequent lease re-gears and property management matters. Richard acts for the investor on all Scottish property matters and has recently produced a bespoke suite of Lease documentation incorporating specialist provisions to address the regulatory framework and funding arrangements for medical practices in Scotland.
- Advised a clearing bank on the re-finance of a Care Home operator – 14 Homes in Scotland and England.
- Professional memberships
- Member of the Law Society of Scotland
- Notary Public
- University of Glasgow – LLB degree - 1988
- University of Glasgow – Diploma in Legal Practice - 1989
- Year qualified - 1991