Joanne advises a wide range of heavily regulated industries including energy companies, manufacturing and distribution companies, technology companies, the waste management sector, global insurers and local and central government. She also advises on environmental liabilities, environmental impact assessments, compliance, permits, producer obligations, risk management and climate change policy and initiatives in real estate and corporate transactions including large investment portfolios.
She has worked on major infrastructure projects and also on major incident investigations.
She has experience of cross-regulator investigations and of related civil claims for environmental damage or injury along with stakeholder and media engagement matters.
- Significant and varied experience of pipelines, transmission and distribution infrastructure and power generation projects including renewables and Low-Carbon energy projects.
- Advising an oil company on the first prosecution sought in the UK based on the 'potential' for damage rather than on actual environmental damage.
- Advising a global chemical company throughout an 18 month decommissioning programme.
- Advising a waste disposal authority on a former landfill site designated as contaminated land and then undertaking a risk management exercise for a portfolio of all other operational and historic sites.
- Advising a Global Pension Trust on its ESOS obligations.
- Professional memberships
- North West Convenor for the UK Environmental Lawyers Association
- Affiliate Member of the Chartered Institute of Wastes Management
- Member of the Association for Petroleum and Explosives Administration
- Steering Group Member for technical guidance for CIRIA (formerly the Construction Industry Research and Information Association).
- The University of Liverpool LLB (Hons) Law
- The College of Law Post-Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice (LPC)
- Year qualified (2007)