Joanne advises on all aspects of environmental compliance, risks and liabilities in transactions (including contractual allocation of liabilities, permits and consents), in major infrastructure projects, regulatory investigations, enforcement action and related civil claims (including group actions). She has experience of major incident response, joint regulator investigations (including on matters of national security), Public Inquiries, ICO appeals and other environmental challenges. She also gives stand-alone strategic advices on a wide range of issues and supports clients with climate change and sustainability concepts including natural capital, ESG, resource efficiency and asset resilience, and environmental reporting. She provides media and communication controls, stakeholder engagement and develops policies, procedures and risk management processes.
Her focus is on heavily regulated sectors and she has a strong energy and utility practice. She is regularly asked to speak and contribute to industry events and publications and to support consultation responses.
- Advice to a number of investment clients on ESG due diligence, contract provisions relating to the health, wellbeing and resource efficiency of buildings and environmental reporting obligations (including ESOS advice on a large investment portfolio).
- Advice to a number of global clients on environmental product claims and chemical regulation cross-jurisdiction, EHS liabilities on resale of equipment; land and water contamination issues including decommissioning of highly regulated sites and advices on PFAS/PFOS contamination.
- Acting for a major transport infrastructure client on a range of matters including nuisance allegations; a joint regulatory investigation for an emergency works programme in a European protected site undertaken without consents; various transactions allocating environmental liability and the procurement of organisational licences for a linear transport infrastructure project.
- Significant and varied experience over several years of pipelines, transmission and distribution infrastructure and power generation projects acting for on a wide range of projects and ancillary issues including permitting and consents, contaminated land, CPO's/DCO's/land consenting, hazardous substance zoning and consents, pipeline safety, abandoned apparatus, asset protection, gasholder voids; large scale solar infrastructure; numerous energy from waste and biogas facilities; onshore and offshore wind farms including refinancing, environmental impacts, advice on contaminated sediments and UXOs and EHS incidents from the same. Currently advising on two EIR matters relating to wind farm connections.
- Significant strategic water resources and drought planning experience advising water companies on Water Resource Management Plans (WRMP), Drought Plans and applications for Drought Permits and Orders. Acting for Southern Water in the South Hampshire Public Inquiry and associated work-streams for both the interim abstraction scheme and long-term supply infrastructure issues (including the Havant Thicket Winter Storage Reservoir). Currently supporting WRSE on its collaborative regional WRMP24 Advising on a number of flood alleviation projects; acting for a water utility on renegotiation of reservoir agreements with the Crown Estate.
- UKWIR - Deriving a Best Value Water Resources Management Plan (2020)
- Professional memberships
- UK Environmental Lawyers Association
- Chartered Institute of Wastes Management
- Institute of Water