James is an experienced adviser on a broad range of debt capital markets transactions. He has acted for corporate issuers, financial institutions, sovereign states and supranational organisations on new issuances, notes programmes, liability management transactions and private placements. Prior to joining Addleshaw Goddard, James practiced in the London office of a Wall Street firm.
Before embarking on his legal career, James was a Fellow in English literature in the University of Cambridge, from which he holds a PhD.
- Advised US and UK issuers in connection with a consent solicitation relating to several series of outstanding notes totalling c.$10 billion;
- Advised the dealer managers in connection with tender and exchange offers, inaugural Tier 2 notes offering and further cash tender offer by a Portuguese bank;
- Advised the joint bookrunners in relation to a dual tranche issuance by a Swedish corporate issuer comprising (i) the issuance of Regulation S Eurobonds and (ii) the debut issuance of subordinated hybrid capital securities;
- Advised a US bank on the re-establishment of and updates to of its EMTN programme, together with numerous issuances thereunder totalling in excess of $20 billion;
- Advised several UK corporate issuers in relation to the establishment of their ECP programmes.
- French – good command
- Italian – basic command
- Spanish – basic command
- BA, MPhil and PhD, University of Cambridge