Antonia is a Managing Associate in our commercial disputes team based in our Dubai office. She has a particular specialism and interest in banking and financial disputes and is experienced in complex commercial litigation with a focus on joint venture and shareholder disputes, investigations and fraud claims. She often advises on matters with a cross border element.
Antonia's practice spans litigation in both the DIFC Courts and the ADGM Courts as well as arbitration under the major institutional rules. She is an advocate of the benefit of mediation as a means of resolving disputes having qualified as an accredited mediator in 2018. A secondment to the Royal Bank of Scotland's in-house litigation team in the UK, provided Antonia with experience of conducting litigation in a variety of countries from a client's perspective.
In 2022 Antonia was shortlisted and received an honourable mention for the Litigator of the Year Award at the inaugural Lexis Nexis Middle East Women in Law Awards.
She is a member of the DIFC Courts Rules Drafting Sub-Committee.
- Emirates NBD Bank PJSC, HSBC Bank Middle East Limited, ICICI Bank UK Plc and others v KBBO CPG Investment LLC, Mr Khaleefa Butti Bin Omair Yousif Almuhari and His Excellency Saeed Mohamed Butti Mohamed Alqebaisi and others  CFI 045. Acting for a syndicate of banks in a DIFC Court action to recover $300m loaned under a syndicated loan facility. Obtained an interim global freezing order, proprietary injunction and disclosure orders from the DIFC Courts against 19 Respondents. Later obtained an order to lift the stay imposed as a consequence of proceedings before the Joint Judicial Committee and obtained an anti-suit injunction in respect of proceedings in the Dubai Courts.
- Acted for a global bank in defending a claim brought by two guarantors in the DIFC Courts. Case centred around validity of facility documents following claims that the guarantors' signatures had been forged.
- Mr Ebrahim Al-Jassim v Socii Synergy Investment LLC and others  DIFC CFI 031. Acted for the Claimant in a DIFC Court action seeking declarations that a Shareholder Resolution was invalid.
- Tabari v Tabarak Investment LLC  CFI 061. Included a challenge to the jurisdiction of the DIFC Courts which ultimately ended up before the Joint Judicial Committee.
- ED&F Man Capital Markets Mena v RJ O'Brien and others  CFI 015. Acting for a defendant through to trial. Included opposed application hearing in respect of applications pertaining to the striking of evidence obtained illegally from the record, anti-suit injunction, springboard injunction and disclosure.
- Acted in the ADGM Courts in an action for enforcement of a London seated ICC arbitration award in the region of $30m concerning a dispute with a government.
- Acted for a minority shareholder in their dispute with the majority shareholder of a KSA food delivery app in a DIFC-LCIA, Dubai seated arbitration.
- Acted in seven DIFC-LCIA, DIFC seated arbitrations concerning the interpretation of a cooling service agreement.
- Acted for an Asian company in their dispute with their UAE based agent including advising on termination and proceedings before the Ministry of Economy.
- Advised a GCC based company on the fallout from a Ponzi scheme including the investigation of the scheme and advising on connected civil, insurance and criminal law matters.
- Acted for a global bank with a DIFC presence in the recovery of various high value non-performing loans and enforcing personal guarantees in onshore Dubai and DIFC Courts.
- Advised a global engineering firm on their exit from an onshore UAE JV with a local partner.
- Advised a global beauty brand in connection with disputes with distributors in the GCC region.
Antonia provides legally sound and commercially sensible advice, her legal knowledge and her ability to understand the client’s business makes her a go to trusted advisor.
Client testimonial, UK Bank
"An exceptional litigation team working on some of the largest disputes in the region. AG are aggressive and proactive, but reasonable and level-headed. A rare combination… managing associate Antonia Grieve [is a] key name at a more junior level"
The team is "noted for its strong presence in the DIFC Courts. Demonstrates pronounced strengths in financial services and shareholder disputes. Acts for household names from a variety of industries, including telecoms, technology, and oil and gas. Also respected for its arbitration practice, handling significant shareholder disputes for high net worth individuals and other major clients."