Paul advises creditors (including institutional lenders and bondholders) stakeholders, insolvency practitioners and directors on complex domestic and cross border restructurings and insolvencies. Paul is a licensed insolvency practitioner and a member of both R3 and INSOL. He is recognised as a leading advisor in restructuring and insolvency and is well known for his practical approach.
- Lehman Brothers Limited: acting as counsel for PwC including various litigation claims between estates of up to £7bn, assignment of pension liabilities, the liability of shareholders to an unlimited company and the operation of the subordination of regulatory debt. These complex issues have been the subject of reports and detailed commentary.
- Abraaj Holdings: acting for the founder Arif Naqvi of the largest private equity group operating in emerging markets with assets under management of approx US$13bn. This includes advice in relation to the Joint Provisional Liquidation of two trading Cayman entities as well as developing a co-ordinated restructuring proposal which considered a large number of SPV’s and a complex private equity group.
- Formula 1 -Force India: advising and co-ordinated the initiation of the administration process and purchase options.
- Victoria Gate Casino: advising shareholders regarding the pre-pack sale of one of the country’s largest super casinos and succeeding in a court of appeal application for disclosure of information regarding the enforcement and sale.
Acting for or with complex bondholder groups:
- Mechel Group: advising one of Russia’s leading mining and metal companies upon the possible restructuring of its PXF facilities of US$1.5bn.
- Nortel: advising Canadian Pension trustee interests in relation to the various disputes and settlement.
- Dexia Credit Locale: acting for bondholders regarding claims arising from the restructuring of the bank.
- Punch Taverns: acting for noteholders in the restructuring.
Advising upon significant real estate positions:
- Confidential: advising upon the restructuring of development loans to a major property development group involving more than 100 sites. This included co-ordinating the diverse loan agreements comprising Euro 2.2 bn. of debt. Completed a co-ordinated Master Agreement structured the arrangements including incentivisation allowing the sale of some sites and joint venture arrangements in relation to others.
- Harris connection: co-ordinating enforcement over 5 aparthotels and a worldwide freezing order in relation to a 200m loan. Worked with Real Estate team to rectify planning arrangements and ultimately payment in full by re-financing and exit from an administration process.
- Credit Suisse International: acting for CSI concerning swap priority arrangements relating to the securitisation of a nursing homes group.
Acting in contentious matters including fraud:
- Lexi Holdings (variously reported): successfully recovering significant assets for a syndicate of lenders.
- Levene bankruptcy: acting for the trustee in bankruptcy of an individual the press dubbed ‘the British Madoff’.
- Leading authorities on subrogation (HSBC v Liberty Marine) and subordination (Re: SSSL)
Paul is ranked by Chambers UK 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017 etc. The 2017 edition states that he ‘stands out’ in the market for his work with banks, bondholders and insolvency practitioners on domestic and international mandates. Clients say he is ‘excellent’ and is noted for his strong reputation in the market in the Corporate Restructuring and Insolvency category of the Legal 500 UK, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017 etc. He is described in Legal 500 2016 as ‘excellent’ and praised in Chambers Global 2016 for being ’..creative in that he always looks for innovative solutions’.
He is recognised as being "very experienced and able"
Legal 500 2020
- Professional memberships
- Year qualified
- London Guildhall University, Law BA (Hons)
- Law Society Finals: Chancery Lane Law School
- JIEB 1997: passed the Joint Insolvency Examination Board exams and is a Licensed Insolvency Practitioner (non-appointment taking) regulated by the ICAEW
- Harvard Business School Leadership Course 2008 (Languages)