Joan is a commercial litigator with particular expertise in property, banking and insolvency related disputes. Joan has conducted litigation in the Sheriff Court, the Court of Session and at Arbitration. She has also has taken part in a number of mediations.
Joan acts for a range of clients including secured lenders, insolvency practitioners, landlords, tenants and owners of commercial premises.
The cases Joan has handled include secured recoveries, guarantee enforcement, professional negligence, applications under the Insolvency legislation, dilapidations claims, interpretation of leases, rent review disputes, disputes relating to unreasonable withholding of consent to assignations and warranty claims.
- Representing a Bank in two high value professional negligence claims against surveyors in respect of negligent overvaluations which were successfully resolved at mediation.
- Successfully representing a client in opposing an urgent application for interim orders in the Court of Session where complex issues arose regarding the terms and conditions of a banking contract
- Advising a client regarding two high value dilapidations claims. Advice in particular regarding response to the schedules served; response to court proceedings raised and the overall strategy
- Acting for a Bank in a long running dispute with a customer who owed the Bank over £1m and made various complaints regarding the actings of the Bank. Three court actions ensued. The matter was resolved at mediation
- Acting for the Liquidator of two companies in an application to the Court for directions regarding highly complex and competing claims in the liquidations
- Acting for the tenant of office premises in a dispute regarding whether or not the landlord had waived the right to seek a review of the rent and a reference to a third party expert to determine the rent
"Very thorough and clear and easily understandable in any correspondence"
- Professional memberships
- Appointed as a Legal Member of the First-tier Tribunal (Housing and Property Chamber) in March 2016
- University of Glasgow 1987 - LLb Dip LP
- Year qualified: 1989