Jennifer is an associate based in Edinburgh. She has experience in advising a wide range of clients on various information, technology and commercial matters including data protection, intellectual property and service outsourcing. Jennifer has a particular interest in the retail sector and also the financial services sector.
- British Airways Secondment: Supporting the internal commercial team (which was challenged by a reduced headcount due to significant portion of the team being on furlough due to Covid-19) with general queries from the business. Jennifer was the lead advisor in the advertising approval process which included assessing advert proposals compliance with the GDPR and the Advertising Standards Agency codes of conduct. The role included managing the Avios loyalty scheme terms and conditions in light of the challenges posed by Covid-19. Due to the pandemic the claims management division of the legal unit was incredibly busy and Jennifer volunteered to assist and was responsible for around 60 individual claim cases across the county courts in England and simple procedure in Scotland.
- Advising on an Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) investigation into the marketing practices of a large home installation insurance provider. Support included investigating the issues raised by the ICO within the business by identifying and interviewing the key steak holders, preparing the board for the investigation meeting, and noting system improvements to prevent the issue arising again. After the through preparation of the board the ICO found no further reason for investigation after the initial meeting with the client which is a great result.
- Developing and co-ordinating a data protection audit into a multinational scientific testing business which had recently undergone a merger with a large US conglomerate. The project involved interviewing specific business functions to assess gaps in the business' compliance with UK data protection regulations. A final report was produced with concise actionable recommendations for the business. Jennifer further supported in the implementation of these recommendations.
- Advising a large airline group and separately for British American Tobacco on the data protection contractual provisions in a large media buying / advertising agency framework agreement.
- Advising on the creation of a new e-commerce platform for an established food retailer. Advising on the data protection aspects of an e-commerce site (cookies, tracking, marketing consents) and also the commercial aspects including terms and conditions of sale and age verification processes.
Designing and developing a data protection training programme for a national food manufacturer to roll out to all staff to ensure adequate training levels for all staff