James is an Associate in our dispute resolution team. James focuses on commercial dispute resolution with a particular emphasis on procurement challenges, public law disputes, major IT project disputes, claims arising from the sale and purchase of businesses and the resolution of large scale business-critical supply disputes.
James acts for both public and private clients, and provides advice on live claims alongside dealing with alternative dispute resolution, dispute avoidance and risk management support. James assists with contract negotiations and terminations, contractual exit strategies and settlements, high profile judicial reviews and supporting tender teams with complex procurement processes and the related contracts.
Examples of James's recent experience include:
- Advising both contracting authorities and bidder clients in relation to public procurement challenges, in particular in the transport and health sectors;
- Advising the Department for Transport at trial in its successful defence in the 2019 Rail Franchising Litigation claims brought by Stagecoach and other claimants to the award of the West Coast Partnership  EWHC 1568 (TCC)
- Advising private and public sector organisations on complex and/or critical issues, including the management, renegotiation, default and termination of major contractual relationships;
- Acting for a Government department in defending a public procurement challenge from an unsuccessful bidder;
- Working with clients on strategies for dispute resolution/management of customer and consumer claims.