Gavin has over 20 years’ experience in corporate and commercial law and specialises in leading domestic and international buy side and sell side M&A transactions and effecting corporate restructurings and reorganisations, offering a business focused, solutions based, approach.
In addition, he has a number of clients to whom he provides general advice on a wide range of commercial contracts (such as supply, distribution and warehousing), shareholder agreements and joint ventures. Gavin also advises these clients from time to time on commercial contract disputes, termination negotiations and integration matters.
He also has significant expertise in corporate governance issues and provides compliance advice to client directors.
Recent experience includes advising:
- PointsBet Holdings Limited, listed on the ASX, on the acquisition of Banach Technologies in 2021 for €43m. The deal was of key importance for PointsBet, significantly accelerating the development of its proprietary in-play offering
- Terminix Global Holdings Inc, listed on the NYSE, which entered the Irish market in 2019, on the acquisition of Pest Pulse, and then Ronaldon Limited last year. Like Kepak Group in the beef industry, there are only a few main competitors in the pest control industry, who continually seek to consolidate market share. These acquisitions were therefore of strategic importance to Terminix
- Kepak Group, privately owned. Kepak, a leading player in the beef and poultry industry in Ireland, has undertaken a number of M&A deals in recent years. Kepak Group operates in a highly competitive, saturated, oligopolistic market where strategic acquisitions are relatively rare and are of critical importance
- The holding company of a leading Irish B2B wholesaler in the area of quality home improvement and DIY products on the sale of the issue shares in the wholesaler, which involved the retention of the existing management
- A US company, a global manufacturer and supplier of magnetic components, on the Irish law aspects of the sale of the group
Representative clients include:
Kepak Group, Pernod Ricard SA, Arkphire Group (now Presidio Europe), PointsBet Holdings Limited, Terminix Global Holdings Inc, Portwest UC, Road Safety Operations UC, Acrotec SA (a division of the Carlyle Group), Getinge UK Limited and Emco Hotels Limited.
Gavin has contributed for many years to an annual publication issued by the World Bank in Washington DC called “Doing Business”.
- Professional Memberships
- Member of the Dublin Solicitors’ Bar Association, the Incorporated Law Society of Ireland and of the Faculty of Notaries Public in Ireland
- Corporate Governance Group; Drafting Contracts Group; Irish Corporate Law Forum (LinkedIn)
- St. Michael’s College (Past Pupils) Union
- Gavin is also a lecturer and tutor in the Law Society for the Commercial Law modules for training solicitors and has written a lecture paper currently in use by the Law Society on the topic of “Limiting the Vendor(s) Liability in an M&A Transaction.” He is a regular speaker at seminars in this area and has participated in a number of ‘road shows’ in the area of corporate governance
- Gavin also sits on the board of a number of companies, charitable institutions and clubs
- Diploma in Notarial Law and Practice 2014
- Admitted as a Solicitor in 2000
- BA (Special), University College Dublin, 1992