Seumas is a specialist construction solicitor with experience acting on behalf of a variety of clients across the industry, including national infrastructure developers, student accommodation providers, and residential building contractors. In particular, Seumas has experience acting in high-value court proceedings (particularly cladding claims), adjudications and alternative forms of dispute resolution.
Seumas also undertakes non-contentious construction work, and regularly drafts, negotiates and reviews contractual documents including industry-standard building contracts (particularly the JCT form), professional/consultant appointments, collateral warranties and deeds of assignment & novation. As part of his non-contentious practice, Seumas has previously advised major UK lenders providing finance for proposed construction projects.
- Advising a national student accommodation provider in relation to a series of high-value cladding disputes brought against main contractors and architects.
- Acting on behalf of major UK infrastructure developers in relation to a series of adjudications concerning sub-contractor payment disputes.
- Undertaking risk reviews on behalf of a major UK lender in respect of a facility agreement connected to a proposed construction development.
- Drafting and leading negotiations on a suite of professional appointments in respect of a proposed re-development at a major motor racing circuit in England.
- Acting on behalf of a major UK supermarket chain against a main contractor in respect of the latter’s failure to design and build a new supermarket in accordance with local planning authority stipulations.
- Advising a developer on the correct procedure for terminating a JCT Design and Build 2016 contract in circumstances where the contractor had defaulted on its works due to financial insecurity and labour shortages.
- University College London - BA Philosophy (2013)
- University of Sheffield - MA Philosophy (2014)
- University of Law - GDL (2015)
- BPP University - LPC (2016)