Matt qualified in 2001 as a solicitor and has since specialised in construction and engineering disputes. He has considerable experience of acting in a wide variety of construction related matters both in the UK and internationally. Matt advises on a broad range of dispute resolution procedures (ADR, adjudication, arbitration and litigation) as well as providing general contractual advice.
He is familiar with the industry standard forms of contract (JCT, ICE, FIDIC, NEC) and has broad experience of dealing with complex construction disputes including defect claims, final account/payment disputes, delay claims and termination disputes.
Matt works across a variety of sectors, including, education, PFI healthcare and utilities where he has successfully represented clients in a number of NEC framework disputes.
Matt's key clients include insurers, engineers, public bodies, developers and contractors. He is a member of the Society of Construction Law.
- acting for a utility client in the defence of a multi-million pound framework adjudication dispute
- acting for a Danish client in a USD 50 million ICC arbitration dispute relating to a baggage handling system
- bringing claims in a domestic arbitration and adjudication amounting to £20 million relating to a bio-diesel processing plant which saw the successful recovery of damages for defects
- acting for a design professional on a £253 million High Court claim involving a landmark stadium. The claim being for loss and expense arising from alleged design changes
- acting for a JV in a multi-million USD dispute concerning a processing plant in Jordan.
- Matt authors the RICS guide to defects on their ISURV website and has authored numerous published articles on various construction law topics.
- Year Qualified
- Colchester Royal Grammar School
- University of the West of England LLB (Hons); 2:1
- Anglia University (LPC); Distinction
- Professional Memberships
- Society of Construction Law
"Many thanks for bringing together such a cogent submission in such a short time. We are very grateful for your thoughtful leadership of the project team…"
2020 client following a successful adjudication defence