Louisa Caswell is a leading commercial litigator with an outstanding record in big-ticket trials and complex cross-border disputes. She leads our commercial disputes team in London and also heads up our Product Litigation practice.
Louisa is known for her expertise in corporate / M&A disputes including shareholder disputes, warranty & indemnity claims and post-completion disputes over deferred consideration and earnouts. She also has particular experience in long term contract disputes relating to product supply, logistics and termination. Louisa is also client relationship partner for GlaxoSmithKline, Britvic and Halma and other major clients include Diageo and KEMET Corporation.
In her product litigation practice, Louisa acts for product manufacturers on product liability claims, product safety and compliance issues, and product recalls relating to food and drink, consumer goods, pharmaceuticals and medical devices, amongst others. Louisa defended GlaxoSmithKline in a landmark product liability group action relating to its antidepressant Seroxat and has been involved in all stages of this long running litigation.
Given the international nature of her client base, Louisa regular co-counsels with overseas law firms on cross-border matters, including in US, Germany and the Netherlands.
Examples of Louisa's work include:
- In 2020 she achieved a successful judgment for GlaxoSmithKline in a long running products trial and obtained legal costs against third party litigation funders, in excess of the Arkin Cap (a long standing principle limiting the liability of the funders to the amount committed).
- Acting for the Leipzig water authority against UBS in a complex $350 million credit derivatives dispute involving litigation in both UK and Germany, and achieving a successful result following a three month trial and a two week Court of Appeal hearing.
- Advising a leading business management software company in relation to an on-going warranty and indemnity dispute following the acquisition of a business in the Netherlands.
- Acting for Dixons Carphone in a hard-fought dispute with McAfee in relation to a software product supply contract.
- Acting for a leading drinks company in relation to all product safety issues and potential product recalls involving its major brands.
- Advising a brand manufacturer on a contract termination dispute with its main logistics supplier and working hand in hand with the business to achieve a smooth handover to a new supplier.
- Secondment to an international mining plc as deputy general counsel, advising on a large fraud investigation.
"The extraordinarily impressive Louisa Caswell is an experienced commercial litigator who specialises in product liability and safety issues". Chambers UK (2017)
"Stands out for her unflappable ability to handle the most difficult case and position" – Legal 500 UK 2020