Kate Chapman is a Managing Associate in our finance team in Qatar. She specialises in general corporate finance, leveraged finance, real estate finance and project finance matters across a range of industries and jurisdictions, and advises on conventional and Sharia compliant banking transactions.
Kate has a particular specialism in cross-border real estate financings and she has previously completed a secondment to the special situations structuring desk at Deutsche Bank's Wall Street office in New York, in addition to a secondment as acting General Counsel for a leading GCC bank. Kate has also completed secondments with a Qatari investment bank and as sole legal advisor for the Middle East office of a major US pharmaceuticals company. Kate received the IFLR Rising Star Award for Qatar in 2017.
Prior to joining Addleshaw Goddard, Kate has practiced in the London, New York and GCC offices of a magic circle law firm and a leading UK law firm.
- Advising a syndicate of lenders on a QAR3.3 billion real estate development financing in respect of a Westin hotel and commercial complex in Doha, Qatar
- Advising the Qatari lenders on a GBP800 million refinancing of debt used for the acquisition of Claridges, The Berkeley and The Connaught in London
- Advising BAML and Deutsche Bank in respect of a EUR600 million senior secured term facility for the acquisition of an interest in El Corte Inglés S.A. by a Qatari investor
- Advising a syndicate of international banks, including HSBC, SMBC and Mizuho, on a USD500 million financing in Qatar
- Advising a global power company based in Qatar in respect of its USD430 million syndicated financing and USD210 million bilateral financing to finance the acquisition of a power company in Indonesia
- Acted for a major developer in the UAE on an AED200 million financing to finance a theme park and hotel complex in Dubai
- Acted for a major developer in Dubai on an AED1 billion financing to finance a shopping and entertainment complex
- Advising the joint lead arrangers in connection with a USD3.7 billion debt financing package for Brookfield Business Partners’ acquisition of Westinghouse Electric Company, a leading global provider of infrastructure services to the power generation industry
- Advising a major Bahraini bank in respect of its borrowing of a USD250 million investment grade facility
- Advising a Qatari bank on the provision of a USD281 million facility to a corporate group with subsidiaries in Egypt and BVI
- Advising Standard Chartered Bank and First Gulf Bank as mandated lead arrangers on a USD500 million financing for Twin Star Mauritius Holdings, a subsidiary of Vedanta Resources, one of the largest oil & gas and metals majors in India
- USD275 million secured term loan (Islamic and conventional) in relation to the development of City Walk, Dubai, an urban shopping and entertainment complex (borrower side)
- Spanish - fluent
- French - conversational
- German - conversational