Ivan Chang is a Legal Director in Hong Kong* and has significant experience in commercial litigation, arbitration, regulatory investigation and data privacy.
He regularly acts for multinational corporations (MNCs), local, international and Chinese banks and investment banks, Big Four accountants and other financial institutions in respect of their litigious and contentious regulatory issues. He is also a specialist in competition, data privacy and cross-border data protection, transfers and restrictions.
Ivan's experience includes litigation, competition and contentious regulatory work, which has seen him:
- Advise local, international and Chinese banks, investment banks, financial institutions and listed corporations in respect of regulatory issues involving the Securities and Futures Commission (SFC), the Hong Kong Monetary Authority (HKMA), Independent Commission Against Corruption and other Hong Kong and overseas regulatory bodies, including investigations and disciplinary proceedings commenced by the SFC and the HKMA
- Defend a multimillion-dollar professional negligence action in Hong Kong on behalf of a Big Four firm of accountants
- Act for a leading international firm of accountants in relation to a Securities Exchange Commission regulatory investigation involving its China and Taiwan operations
- Advise a Big Four firm of accountants in respect of investigation and disciplinary proceedings commenced by the Hong Kong Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Advise MNCs in respect of suspected internal fraudulent and corrupt practices in various Asian jurisdictions
- Advise KPMG as liquidators in the Lehman Brothers case
- Act for BGC Partners in defending a claim by ICAP plc for alleged wrongful poaching of employees
Meanwhile, Ivan’s competition and data privacy case highlights include:
- Advising an association of banks in Hong Kong on the legal and regulatory requirements in respect of the use of customer personal data by its member banks for direct marketing in Hong Kong
- Advising local and international banks and investment banks in respect of competition, data privacy and data protection
- Advising leading global firms of accountants in relation to cross-border data privacy and data protection issues in Hong Kong and other South-East Asian jurisdictions
* Ivan is a Legal Director of Addleshaw Goddard (Hong Kong) LLP.
We are the commercial law firm of choice for an increasing number of clients looking to do business in Hong Kong and PRC.