Ivan has significant experience in commercial litigation, arbitration, regulatory investigation and data privacy. He regularly acts for MNCs, local, international and PRC banks and investment banks, and other financial institutions in respect of their court litigation and contentious regulatory matters. He advises banks and financial institutions on competition law and is a specialist in data privacy and cross-border data protection, transfers and restrictions.
LITIGATION AND CONTENTIOUS REGULATORY WORK
- Advising local, international and PRC banks, investment banks, exchanges, crypto exchanges, financial institutions and listed corporations in respect of all aspects of dispute resolution, litigation, contentious regulatory issues and white-collar crime, including investigations and disciplinary proceedings commenced by the SFC and HKMA, as well as other regulatory and law enforcement agencies such as the ICAC, the Commercial Crime Bureau and the Customs and Excise Department.
- Acting for the Applicant in the landmark case Sun Tian Gang v. Hong Kong & China Gas (Jilin) Ltd  HKEC 2128 to successfully set aside an 8 year-old arbitral award.
- Advising a Hong Kong regulator in respect of its operations guidelines and the exercise of its statutory investigation functions.
- Acting for a leading digital asset exchange in a cross-border dispute in respect of certain digital asset transactions.
- Defending a US$ multi-million professional negligence action in Hong Kong on behalf of a Big-4 firm of accountants.
- Advising a Big-4 firm of accountants in respect of investigation and disciplinary proceedings commenced by the HKICPA.
- Acting for a leading international firm of accountants in relation to a SEC regulatory investigation involving its PRC and Taiwan operations.
- Advising MNCs in respect of suspected internal fraudulent and corrupt practices in various Asian jurisdictions.
- Advising a Big-four firm of accountants in the Lehman Brothers liquidation.
- Acting for a prominent family in Hong Kong in a contentious probate matter.
DATA PRIVACY AND EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES WORK
- Advising local, international and investment banks, exchanges (both traditional and digital asset exchanges) and tech companies in respect of data privacy, data protection, data breach and cross-border transfers.
- Advising an association of banks in Hong Kong on the legal and regulatory requirements in respect of the use of customer personal data by its member banks for direct marketing in Hong Kong.
- Advising leading global firms of accountants in relation to cross-border data privacy and data protection issues in Hong Kong and other south-east Asian jurisdictions.
- Advising banks and listed companies in respect of discrimination complaints filed by an employee with the Equal Opportunities Commission.
- Advising a Hong Kong listed financial markets platform provider in respect of its data privacy and transfer of information obligations.
COMPETITION LAW WORK
- Advising banks, financial institutions and other corporations on competition law.
We are the commercial law firm of choice for an increasing number of clients looking to do business in Hong Kong and PRC.