Iain is an Associate within the Commercial Services division, based in our Aberdeen office. He has experience of advising on a variety of matters for clients in the oil & gas, transport and financial services sectors.
Iain primarily advises clients on data protection issues and is well versed in compliance matters (including compliance with the General Data Protection Regulation). Iain also has experience of providing advice on broader commercial matters, including advising on commercial contracts and intellectual property.
Iain has a background in civil litigation, with experience of dealing with cases at all levels of the Sheriff Court (including commercial actions) and the Court of Session. During his time as a litigator Iain advised on a broad spectrum of disputes, including contract, consumer rights and property litigation. This litigation experience means that Iain is well placed to provide strategic and contextualised advice to clients when considering their approach to commercial contract negotiations and responding to data subject access requests.
Data / Information Experience
- Acting for a FTSE 100 company in relation to their responses to approximately 400 data subject access requests made by customers and staff under the GDPR.
- Assisting an international bank on its response to a data subject access request from an employee under investigation.
- Drafting and negotiating numerous data processing agreements for a large international provider of software-as-a-service.
- Providing project support and advice to a large charity with its GDPR compliance project.
- Drafting data sharing agreements for a recruitment company operating in the oil and gas sector.
- Assisting a company with its response to an investigation by the Information Commissioner's Office into its handling of a data subject access request.
Commercial Contracts Experience
- Advising a building society on their investments into small technology companies by reviewing their commercial contracts and advising on its provisions in relation to intellectual property, liability, indemnities and data protection.
- Advising an international training and certification provider in the oil and gas sector on the updating and renegotiation of their standard supplier agreement with training centres throughout the world.
- Appearing in court on behalf of a client in a high profile defamation action.
- Acting on behalf of a company in a commercial action for payment of money in a complex and high value commercial property dispute (previous firm).
- Advising a company in a high value Sheriff Court ordinary action for payment of money against a former director (previous firm).
- Advising numerous clients on contentious data subject access requests in the context of ongoing litigation (previous firm).
- Assisting two clients with separate appeals to the Inner House of the Court of Session (previous firm).
- Professional memberships
- Law Society of Scotland
- Year Qualified
- Scots Law (LLB Hons), University of Aberdeen
- Diploma in Professional Legal Practice (PGDip), University of Aberdeen