Chris is a managing associate in the Tax and Structuring group, based in London. He advises on a wide range of UK tax issues, but has a particular interest in the taxation of real estate. His specialism includes advising on the full spectrum of real estate tax matters, such as; both direct and indirect disposals and acquisitions of real estate (including inward investment), complex development projects (including joint venture arrangements, forward funding and regeneration), acquisitions and disposals by REITs, and tax-efficient financing of real estate acquisitions and developments. He has also worked on a number of large projects relating to 'alternative' real estate classes, such as student accommodation, care homes, private rented sector and build to rent schemes, and is also often asked to give standalone advice on VAT, stamp duty land tax and direct tax issues affecting real estate.
Outside of real estate taxation, Chris has significant experience advising on the tax implications of mergers, acquisitions and disposals (whether through the transfer of shares or trade and assets), and in relation to tax issues on banking facilities, and has advised on fund structures.
He is a Chartered Tax Adviser and a member of the Stamp Taxes Practitioners' Group, and has been listed as a Rising Star by the Thomson Reuters' SuperLawyers directory since 2013.
Christophers recent experience includes advising:
- Cheung Kei Group on the £270m acquisition and financing of 5 Churchill Place;
- UPP on a multi-tower, multi-phase development of student accommodation for UPP;
- Tate & Lyle on the tax implications of the re-alignment of its European bulk ingredients business, including the €240m disposal of multiple interests to a joint venture partner;
- Rocket Internet on the sale of various worldwide interests to Just Eat for circa $140m;
- On investment into a number of North American energy sector funds, both through feeder vehicles and through transparent partnership structures.
- University of Sheffield, L.L.B. (Law), 2002
- University of Liverpool, L.L.M. (Law and Ethics), 2003
- Legal Practice Course, College of Law, 2004
- Chartered Tax Adviser, Member of the Chartered Institute of Taxation
- Professional Memberships
- Law Society of England and Wales
- Chartered Institute of Taxation
- Stamp Taxes Practitioners' Group