Adam joined Addleshaw Goddard in July 2018 having qualified at Wrigleys Solicitors LLP in 2012 where he was a pensions associate and a director of the firm's independent pension trustee company.
Adam has experience of a wide range of pensions law issues in relation to DB and DC schemes. Adam has significant experience advising trustees so he has a very strong grounding in trustee governance and regulatory and pension tax requirements. He also has a particular focus on DC schemes including master trusts and regularly advises on key issues for DC schemes such as Chair's statements, identifying a scheme's default arrangement(s), compliance with TPR's DC Code, and bulk transfers.
Adam is a member of our SIPPs, SSAS and pension products team and frequently advises scheme trustees and operators on regulatory aspects of these schemes including HMRC and TPR compliance. He is experienced at drafting and updating SSAS and SIPP scheme documentation and particularly enjoys working on technical SIPP/SSAS matters such as tax appeals.
Adam's recent general advisory work has included advising employers and trustees regarding liability management, de-risking and scheme funding issues. Adam also frequently advises on data protection and cyber security issues for pension schemes including data processing agreements, cyber security policies, and policies for handling data subject requests.
Adam's recent experience includes:
- acting as lead adviser to the trustees of a £2 billion + DC master trust including providing regulatory and compliance advice to the trustees on an ongoing basis and advice to help the scheme to obtain master trust authorisation
- advising a SIPP operator on a complex relief-at-source dispute with HMRC
- advising the UK businesses of a multinational conglomerate on a complex funding and employer covenant negotiation with the Pension Regulator and the scheme trustees, involving a profit sharing arrangement from a long term commercial land development as an alternative to pure cash funding for the pension scheme
- advising the UK arm of a large international group regarding its UK and offshore pension schemes, including the negotiation of a parent company guarantee and advice regarding pensions issues arising from the proposed company migration of a principal employer
- advising a large construction group regarding the scope to switch the reference index used by the group's DB scheme for increases to pensions in payment from RPI to CPI
- Professional Memberships
- The Association of Pensions Lawyers (APL) – Adam sits on the North-East APL committee