Dual-qualified in the UK and the EU, Valeri has extensive experience advising on all aspects of EU, UK and international competition law. With focus and strong interest in merger control and behavioural issues, Valeri has experience representing clients before the European Commission, as well as the UK CMA and the German Federal Cartel Office. His broad practice has a particular emphasis on financial services (private equity funds and other financial institutions), the technology sector and various basic industries.
Apart from extensive experience in private practice, Valeri spent a year with a multinational oil & gas company where he advised on various behavioural and transactional matters across Europe and the APAC region.
Prior to joining the firm, Valeri worked for international law firms and has practised in London, Brussels and Dusseldorf.
Valeri's recent experience includes:
- Representing a global manufacturer and recycler of aluminium products in a phase 2 merger control investigation before the European Commission, as well as in the subsequent Article 8(4) EUMR procedure; assisting with an appeal before the General Court in Luxembourg.
- Advising a US-based technology company in relation to parallel investigations (led by the CMA, ACCC and the FTC) into a completed merger.
- Advising a telecommunications operator on a potential "4 to 3" acquisition of a competitor in one of the EU Member States.
- Advising various private equity funds on all stages of a fund lifecycle, from formation and making investments, to ongoing portfolio assistance including fund-to-fund transfers and exits.
- Advising a financial institution in relation to two separate cartel investigations, including preparation of leniency applications across the EU, strategy and project management of the investigatory work, review and assessment of key evidence.
- Representing a FMCG company before the European Commission in an antitrust investigation into its selective distribution system.
- Advising several pharmaceutical companies in relation to their joint R&D and standardisation initiative.
- German – fluent
- French – excellent command
- Bulgarian - native
- Professional Memberships
- The Law Society, Competition Section
- Bulgarian City Lawyers' Network
- Bulgarian Bar Association
- European Law Students' Association Alumni