Michael joined the litigation team as a Partner in 2005. Michael is widely known as a highly experienced specialist in financial markets disputes, having acted in recent years in some of the more high-profile and complex cases for financial institutions and other market participants, trade counterparties and investors.
Case highlights include:
- Handling a series of structured product mis-selling cases for financial institutions
- Fighting a number of high profile banking disputes, including:
- For Barclays in the recent Barclays Bank v UniCredit case which Barclays won at trial and in the Court of Appeal
- The BVG v JPMorgan and UBS & Depfa v KWL cases concerning investment by German utilities in collateralised debt obligations that, following jurisdiction challenges in the European Court, went on to lengthy trials dominating the Commercial Court in 2014, and where it concerns the KWL case is on its way to the Court of Appeal
- Acting for Clydesdale Bank in the widely followed Office of Fair Trading's test case on unauthorised overdraft charges that went up to the Supreme Court
Michael also spent six months in 2010 on secondment to Barclays Corporate and Investment Banking’s litigation team.