Matt is a Managing Associate in Addleshaw Goddard's Global Investigations team. His practice is focused on advising businesses in relation to international sanctions and export control matters.
Matt has spent his career advising clients on complex international sanctions issues, including in relation to trade with high risk countries such as Cuba, Iran, Libya, Russia, Syria, Ukraine and Venezuela. He helps multinational companies to develop robust and effective internal compliance programmes and respond to new legal and regulatory developments.
Matt advises clients across a range of industry sectors, including advanced manufacturing, chemicals, pharmaceuticals, retail and consumer goods, financial services and oil and gas, and regularly advises FTSE 100 and 250 companies. Matt has advised clients extensively on many complex issues arising from the latest sanctions measures targeting Russia. His practice also covers related financial crime matters including ant-bribery, anti-money laundering and third party due diligence.
Matt is the UK representative member of AT+ICA, a Europe-wide network of leading international trade compliance lawyers. He has been recognised as a leading lawyer by Who’s Who Legal: Trade & Customs (International Sanctions) from 2019 to 2022.
Matt's experience includes:
- advising a major UK financial institution on sanctions compliance controls and providing compliance advisory support on complex issues, including in relation to new sanctions on Russia
- advising a large multinational active in the oil and gas and mining industries on the implications of new sanctions measures relating to Russian energy market stakeholders
- advising a telecoms business on counterparty ownership and control issues arising from new sanctions targeting Russia
- advising a luxury goods trade association on the impact of new sanctions measures on Russia and the impact on its operations
- advising a UK PLC active in the materials science sector on UK, EU and US export and sanctions restrictions, including in relation to sales to customers or end-users located in countries subject to sanctions measures and dual-use export control requirements
- providing ongoing support to a FTSE 100 company on international trade compliance issues throughout the supply chain, in particular in relation to EU and UK financial sanctions programmes and export controls
- developing compliance policies and training courses for several large multinational businesses in relation to sanctions, export controls and financial crime
- French - good command
- Professional Memberships
- AT+ICA (the European Association of Trade and Investment Controls and Compliance Attorneys)