Martin is a dual qualified Legal Director in the real estate team with over 20 years' experience in real estate investment and asset management work, acting for a number of UK and overseas property companies (both listed and private), funds, investors, private equity houses and developers.
He focuses on development, funding and investment activities and his experience covers all asset types including offices, retail, leisure, hotel, student housing, industrial and residential. In recent years his practice has focussed on investment, management, development and sales in the private rented sector in particular.
Martin also has a successful practice advising UK corporate occupiers in the TMT and oil and gas sectors on the full range of their real estate needs, including acquisitions and disposals, headquarters buildings, restructuring, strategic advice, sale and leasebacks and general property portfolio management including advising on achieving energy efficiencies.
Martin has also acted for funders, JVs and contractors in relation to the real estate aspects of various PPP/PFI/NPD and solar projects across the UK.
Martin's experience includes:
- Acting on the acquisition, management and strategic disposals of over £100M worth of residential properties across England in 2018/19.
- Acquisition and development of five separate sites for student accommodation, comprising a cumulative total of 930 studios for Hong Kong and Singaporean regulated funds, managed through a UK based FCA regulated private equity investment house. Acting on the disposal of a recently completed block of student accommodation to an overseas investor for c. £15M.
- Completion of a lease re-gear of four floors at Millbank Tower, London, being the international headquarters of World First UK Limited.
- Acting on the acquisition (for c. £42M), management and ongoing onward sales of a mixed use portfolio of 27 properties across the UK for a US-based investor.
- Asset management of a number of business and retail parks for various overseas investors.
- Acting on behalf of an offshore client, Martin completed the sale of an office investment in central London with a value of c. £80M.
- Acting on the real estate aspects of the acquisition of various forecourt operators, followed by a re-financing and then £500M sale of the equity of the resulting petrol station group with over 400 petrol filling stations across the UK to a US investor, together with the ongoing management of the portfolio across the UK.
- Acting on the acquisition, development, letting and onward sale of a number of multi-let office developments across England.
- Professional memberships
- Law Society, Law Society of Scotland
- University of Dundee, LL. B. (Hons) (1996)
- University of Dundee, Dip L.P. (1997)
- QLTT (2003)
- Year qualified: 1999 (Scotland); 2003 (England)