John is an Associate in the Employment Group based in Leeds. He trained with Addleshaw Goddard, qualifying in September 2015. Prior to his training contract, John worked as a paralegal for two years for another large firm in Leeds, focusing on litigation and employment work.
John has experience in advising a variety of employers on both contentious and non-contentious employment matters in a number of sectors, including the aviation, retail, health and social care, energy and education sectors.
His expertise in contentious matters includes advising on and managing employment tribunal claims (including claims for discrimination, unfair and wrongful dismissal, holiday pay and breach of contract), and negotiating and drafting settlement agreements.
John's non-contentious experience includes due diligence exercises for transactions within the commercial and energy sectors, advising on contracts of employment and service agreements, restrictive covenants, disciplinary and grievance procedures and the application of TUPE. John has also advised on TUPE in an outsourcing context and on collective and individual redundancy processes.
- Seconded to a large aviation client for 8 months, working within the dedicated Employment Team. Providing day to day in-house support to the various people teams within the client, advising on disciplinary, grievance and policy issues.
- Primary legal contact on a major outsourcing exercise whilst on secondment, advising managers and human resources on TUPE and redundancy issues.
- Reviewing and updating the employee handbook of a well-known construction retailer.
- Providing employment support on the multi-million pound purchase of a biomass energy business, including carrying out due diligence and advising the client on material matters.
- Drafting and delivering training to senior managers, human resources and occupational health teams on topics such as TUPE and redundancy, the Modern Slavery Act and disability discrimination and reasonable adjustments.
- Professional memberships
- Employment Lawyers Association (ELA)
- Industrial Law Society (ILS)
- Year qualified: 2015
- Legal Practice Course (Distinction) BPP Law School, Leeds (2013)
- Graduate Diploma in Law (Distinction) BPP Law School, Leeds (2011)
- BA (Hons) English Literature (Upper Second Class) University of Newcastle upon Tyne (2008)