Jean has significant experience advising insolvency practitioners, financial institutions, directors and corporates on matters arising in relation to distressed businesses and corporate insolvencies, with a particular emphasis on contentious aspects and dispute resolution.
Jean's experience includes leading on substantial litigation involving the recovery of assets or money and advising in relation to directors' duties, often in the context of corporate restructurings and turnarounds. She is also regularly involved in the resolution of disputes through negotiation or mediation. Recent instructions include:
- Acting for the successful defendants in court proceedings brought by the liquidator of a company of which they were formerly directors, involving allegations of breaches of directors duties and including consideration of defences of limitation in the Court of Appeal and Supreme Court
- Acting for the Viscount of the Royal Court of Jersey in relation to a Jersey bankruptcy and liquidation, including multi-party proceedings in the Commercial Court relating to issues over the ownership of assets arising from a historical fraud
- Advising the administrators of a group of companies involved in the promotion of a significant number of hotel and care home investment schemes
- Providing advice to directors and corporates in relation to directors' duties, wrongful trading risks, winding up proceedings and the impact of temporary and permanent new insolvency legislation
- Professional Memberships
- Association of Business Recovery Professionals (R3) – North West Region Vice-Chair; Chair of North West Women's Network