Gerlando has specialised in handling disputes arising out of construction, engineering and power projects for over 30 years. His experience covers all forms of dispute resolution, including litigation, arbitration, dispute boards, expert determination, early neutral evaluation, adjudication and mediation. He also provides behind the scenes advice to his clients during the course of their projects.
He has acted on a wide range of projects in the UK and overseas, including industrial process plants; CCGT, coal-fired and hydro-electric power stations, wind farms and CHP plants; marine civil engineering works; roads, tunnels and railways; offshore and onshore oil and gas facilities; major office, retail and leisure developments; and PPP/PFI projects.
He has previously worked as a solicitor in Hong Kong and in Singapore for a number of years in each of those countries.
Gerlando has deep experience of the FIDIC Conditions of Contract, having been a reviewer of the 1999 editions of the Rainbow suite, and more recently of the Subcontract for use with the Red Book and the new Yellow Book. All of his current work relates to projects that have been or are being carried out under contracts based on FIDIC conditions.
Gerlando's experience includes:
- 509 MW offshore wind farm development: acted for developer in LCIA arbitration proceedings defending claims by EPC contractor for claimed variations and delay.
- Offshore oil and gas processing platform in the Arabian Gulf: acted for the owner in UNCITRAL arbitration proceedings defending contractor's claims and pursuing owner's counterclaims for defects
- Immersed Tube tunnel: acted for dredging subcontractor in weighty ICE arbitration proceedings and associated appeals to the High Court relating to delays and additional works.
- Road project in Ukraine: acting for an international contractor in ICC arbitration proceedings seated in Paris (following dispute board proceedings, ICC Emergency Arbitrator proceedings and UK Court action in support of the arbitration).
- London City office development: acted for owner in adjudication/Court/mediation proceedings relating to defects and defending contractor's claims for additional payment.
- Professional Memberships
- London Court of International Arbitration
- Dispute Resolution Board Foundation
- Society of Construction Law
- Freeman of the Worshipful Company of Arbitrators