Gerlando has specialised in handling disputes arising out of construction, engineering and power projects for over 30 years. His experience covers all forms of dispute resolution, including litigation, arbitration, dispute boards, expert determination, early neutral evaluation, adjudication and mediation. He also provides behind the scenes advice to his clients during the course of their projects.
He has acted on a wide range of projects in the UK and overseas, including industrial process plants; CCGT, coal-fired and hydro-electric power stations, wind farms and CHP plants; marine civil engineering works; roads, tunnels and railways; offshore and onshore oil and gas facilities; major office, retail and leisure developments; and PPP/PFI projects.
He has previously worked as a solicitor in Hong Kong and in Singapore for a number of years in each of those countries.
Gerlando has deep experience of the FIDIC Conditions of Contract, having been a reviewer of the 1999 editions of the Rainbow suite, and more recently of the Subcontract for use with the Red Book and the Yellow Book revision which is currently under preparation. All of his current work relates to projects that have been or are being carried out under contracts based on FIDIC conditions.
He is a member of the London Court of International Arbitration, the Dispute Resolution Board Foundation, the Society of Construction Law and the Technology and Construction Solicitors’ Association and he is a Freeman of the Worshipful Company of Arbitrators.
Gerlando's experience includes:
Energy and Utilities
- 1,870 MW hydropower project in Africa: acting for EPC contractor in pending ICC arbitration proceedings.
- 428 MW hydropower project in Africa: acted for EPC contractor in ICC arbitration proceedings defending claims by electro-mechanical subcontractor in respect of delays and damage to equipment.
- 1,040 MW hydropower project in Asia: acting for EPC contractor on dispute arising from failure of predecessor enabling works.
- 6,000 MW hydropower project in Africa: assisting EPC contractor to formulate claims in respect of delays.
- 509 MW offshore wind farm development: acted for developer in LCIA arbitration proceedings defending claims by EPC contractor for claimed variations and delay.
- 790 MW CCGT power station: acting for EPC contractor in ICC arbitration proceedings pursuing claims in relation to variations and delays.
- CHP plant: acting for owner (paper manufacturer) in EAA arbitration proceedings against energy supplier relating to defects in the plant.
- CHP plant: acting for owner (hospital authority) in respect of claims against designer relating to defects in the plant.
- Coal-fired plant: acting for owner (private power producer) against supplier of multi-solid fluidised boilers in respect of defects in the installation.
- Offshore oil and gas processing platform in the Arabian Gulf: acted for the owner in UNCITRAL arbitration proceedings defending contractor's claims and pursuing owner's counterclaims for defects.
- LNG Project in Australia: acting for subcontractor in relation to claims for additional payment.
- Offshore pipeline project in Thailand: acting for marine engineering subcontractor in relation to claims for additional payment.
- Sewage facilities framework contract: acted for contractor in multiple adjudication/ court/ arbitration proceedings pursuing claims for additional payment and defending claims for alleged defects arising out of 10,000 plus call-off contracts.
- Immersed Tube tunnel: acted for marine engineering subcontractor in weighty ICE arbitration proceedings and associated appeals to the High Court relating to delays and additional works.
- Road tunnel project in Jammu and Kashmir: acted for Italian design engineers in disputes relating to additional work and defending alleged negligence.
- Road project in Ukraine: acting for an international contractor in ICC arbitration proceedings seated in Paris (following dispute board proceedings, ICC Emergency Arbitrator proceedings and UK Court action in support of the arbitration).
- Road project in Romania: acting for an international contractor in ICC arbitration proceedings seated in Bucharest.
- Road projects in Kazakhstan: acting for an international contractor in dispute board proceedings in advance of ICC arbitration proceedings.
- Road project in Kazakhstan: acted for an international contractor in dispute board and SCC arbitration proceedings seated in Stockholm.
- Road project in Azerbaijan: acted for an international contractor in ICC arbitration proceedings seated in Paris.
- Container terminal: acted for a dredging subcontractor on disputes arising from the catastrophic failure of the reclamation for a 250m extension to an existing container terminal.
- Railway: acted for track owner in adjudication proceedings arising out of defective refurbishment of a stretch of permanent way.
- Aluminium smelter: acted for German manufacturer/supplier in disputes arising from alleged defects in plant supplied for a smelter facility in China.
- Polyester plant: acted for Japanese manufacturer/supplier in disputes arising from alleged defects in an installation in Taiwan.
- Sewage waste incineration plant: acted for Anglo-German construction consortium in ICC arbitration relating to defects in an installation in the UK.
Commercial and Public
- London City office development: acted for owner in adjudication/Court/mediation proceedings relating to defects and defending contractor's claims for additional payment.
- London City office development: acted for owner in expert determination proceedings with tenant regarding completion of the development.
- Mixed-use urban regeneration project: acted for owner in early neutral evaluation proceedings relating to contractor's claims for additional payment.
- Shopping centre development: acted for developer in adjudication proceedings relating to defects in basement car park concrete floor.
- Retail warehouse: acting for tenant in relation to defects in concrete floors.
- Student accommodation blocks: acted for developer in disputes with contractor relating to delays and defects.
- Data centres: acted for owner bank in disputes with contractor relating to delays and defects.
- Multiplex cinema: acted for owner to secure completion of the project after failure of the developer.
- Retail park: acted for owner in relation to claims for defects against the contractor.
- Hospital tower: acted for manufacturer/supplier in High court proceedings arising out of the catastrophic failure of an incinerator chimney.
- Hotel/resort development: acted for the Korean project manager in mediation and pending arbitration proceedings relating to a development in Mongolia.