Carl specialises in international finance and derivatives law. As a core member of the Structured Finance, Prudential and Carbon Markets & Emissions Trading sub-sector teams he advises clients on cutting edge transactions, innovative market infrastructure and financial regulation across all major derivatives asset classes.
Carl is expert on market standard trading terms and closeouts under a wide range of industry documentation including GMRA, GMSLA, ISDA, EFET, FIA, prime brokerage and bespoke derivatives arrangements.
In recent years his practice has focussed on structural market reforms, including Brexit, emissions trading, OTC risk mitigation, LIBOR cessation, resolution and the regulatory capital frameworks.
- Acted for J.P. Morgan Cazenove as financial adviser on the £1.3 billion takeover of Clinigen Group plc by a private equity firm
- Advised a large oil and gas company on M&A deal contingent commodity hedging and the establishment of an emissions compliance trading programme
- Advised the ProjectCo on its $110,000,000 refinancing of a Panamanian hydroelectric power plant
- Advised a leading UK wealth manager on its issuance of £40,000,000 Tier 2 regulatory capital subordinated notes
- LIBOR reform projects for various banks, infrastructure projects, borrowers and asset managers
- Acting for various banks and a banking association on the provision of CRR regulatory capital opinions
- Advised an international bank on bail-in and resolution stay issues in connection with its repo and derivatives business
- "The Bank of England's First Ever Bail-in Recognition" (2022) 3 JIBFL 203
- "Location, location, location: the EU's "location policy" for euro-denominated derivatives clearing" (2021) 5 JIBFL 364
- "The Fight for UK clearing rights in Europe is a big democratic opportunity", Financial News (Issue 1232, 22 March 2021)