Carl specialises in international structured finance and derivatives law. He advises on a broad spectrum of developed and emerging market transactions in securitised and OTC formats, including swaps, repos, securities lending, ETDs and other financial products across all major derivatives asset classes.
Carl is expert on a wide range of industry standard documentation including GMRA, GMSLA, ISDA, FIA, prime brokerage and bespoke derivatives arrangements.
In recent years his practice has focussed on the impact of Brexit and post-crisis financial reforms, including innovative solutions to OTC risk mitigation and benchmark reforms, the new resolution regime and regulatory capital netting frameworks.
- Advising an asset manager on the establishment of an innovative segregated initial margin structure to support exchange traded derivatives trading by its pan-European UCITS platforms
- Drafting templates and negotiating prime brokerage, FX master confirmations and other derivative trading agreements for numerous funds and banks
- Lead adviser to a global bank on its netting project involving the survey of regulatory capital netting in over 75 jurisdictions
- Advising on ISDA closeout and CDS credit event issues in connection with numerous reference entities, including New Look, British Steel, Thomas Cook and Air Mauritius
- Advising an international bank on bail-in and resolution stay issues in connection with its repo and derivatives business