Annual reporting by listed companies in 2020/21
In a year characterised by the coronavirus pandemic, the 2020 Annual Report will focus primarily on the impact of the crisis on the company's performance and, crucially, on the resilience and future prospects of the business as the UK enters the next phase of regional lockdowns and tiered restrictions. With relatively few mandatory changes this year, reporting will provide listed companies with an opportunity to consolidate their statutory and UK Corporate Governance Code disclosures made for the first time last year, particularly in the areas where the Financial Reporting Council believes that many have fallen short. It will also provide listed companies with an opportunity to develop their reporting around priority investor issues, such as climate change and diversity.
The 2020/21 edition of the "Company Secretary's Checklist – The annual report of a listed company", produced by AG's Governance & Compliance Team, will guide you through this year's requirements and challenges.
- Reporting on the impact of the coronavirus pandemic.
- FRC's most recent observations on reporting, its expectations and the latest Lab reports.
- Opportunities to enhance the second Section 172(1) Statement.
- Areas to improve reporting against the UK Corporate Governance Code, including in respect of Principles and Provisions, explanations of non-compliance, corporate purpose, culture, diversity and remuneration.
- Voluntary TCFD reporting, and new requirements to report on energy consumption and efficiency.
- New mandatory reporting requirements for the Remuneration Report.
- AGM lessons learned in 2020 and preparing for possible disruption in 2021.
- New requirements relating to the exercise of shareholder rights at the AGM.
- Likely areas of investor focus at the 2021 AGM, including in relation to actions taken during the pandemic, progress on diversity, executive pay and the company's response to climate change.
Content and purpose
- Drafted from the perspective of a UK incorporated company with a premium listing on the Main Market, and with a 31 December 2020 financial year-end.
- Contains all mandatory reporting requirements.
- Highlights the changes that have taken place since the last reporting period.
- Sets out what companies need to do differently to be compliant this year.
- Provides coverage of "best practice" guidance.
- Includes a step-by-step guide to finalising and publishing an Annual Report.
- Contains a checklist to enable preparations for the AGM.
- Reporting requirements and guidance up-to-date as at 1 December 2020.
Purchase your checklist
To purchase a copy of the "Company Secretary's Checklist – The annual report of a listed company 2020/21", please complete the form below.
The issues identified in the "Company Secretary's Checklist – The annual report of a listed company 2020/21" are for information only and their application will depend on individual circumstances and other relevant factors.
The document does not constitute legal advice and should not be relied on as such. Providing this document does not create a duty of care between Addleshaw Goddard LLP and the recipient. Nor does this document create a contractual or solicitor-client relationship between any Addleshaw Goddard LLP entity (or any of its partners, employees or agents) and any recipients.
If specific legal advice is required or we can be of further assistance, please contact the person with whom you usually deal at Addleshaw Goddard or any of the persons whose details are set out on the inside cover of the document.
Your copy of the checklist
– The purchase price is for a soft copy version of the checklist. You will receive this by email. Please allow 24 hours for delivery.
– Hard copies will be available on request. Please note that delivery times may be longer than normal in light of the coronavirus pandemic.
£1,750 (plus VAT)