Addleshaw Goddard's 27 Partner, 80 Associate strong Litigation Department is a key pillar of the firm. With litigation lawyers across offices in London, Leeds and Manchester, we are recognised by independent commentators as one of the leading litigation practices in England with a strong reputation for our commercial approach to resolving business disputes. In addition to general commercial litigation and dispute resolution the firm has specialists in Finance, Fraud, Construction, Crime, Insurance & Reinsurance, Information Technology, Media, Intellectual Property, Property and Tax and Pensions disputes.
All members of the Litigation Group are trained in the use of mediation, and a number of partners are registered or accredited mediators. A team of partners and associates are solicitor-advocates with higher court qualifications in the civil and criminal courts.
"Sources agree that this firm's contentious group is a real presence in the market"
Chambers and Partners 2010
- Shortlisted for Litigation Team of the Year for our work with Standard Life for both the British Legal Awards and the Legal Business Awards
- 4 of Addleshaw Goddard's current cases were included in The Lawyer magazine's `Top 20 Cases` of the Year (2011)
- Standard Life v ACE European Group
- The Seroxat litigation: Sandra Bailey & Ors v GlaxoSmithKline UK
- The Building Schools for the Future litigation: five claims, to be consolidated and listed
- (1) Morrisons; (2) Imperial Tobacco; (3) Cooperative Group; (4) Safeway; (5) Asda; & (6)
Shell v Office of Fair Trading (OFT)
- Judicial Reviews are on the increase and AG is at the forefront, most recently advising Luton Borough Council on a successful legal challenge to the manner in which the Government cancelled the Building Schools for the Future programme last year. And in the same week, Royal Liverpool NHS Trust and Liverpool PCT, who overcame a challenge to their new £500m hospital development.
- In international arbitration we have an up and coming practice offering a breadth and depth comparable to other more established teams. Our recent appointment of four international arbitration specialists to partnership (in 2009 and 2010) and our portfolio of premium international arbitration instructions from premium clients is a sign of our progress in this area.
- Our Banking Litigation practice is becoming the natural alternative to Magic Circle firms and our professional negligence team continues to draw new instructions from banks and building societies who are increasingly looking for cheaper ways to recover their losses by assessing and pursuing claims against professionals where shortfalls are suffered.
The legal costs and expenses will be one of the biggest concerns of any party involved in a dispute. Since launching CONTROL, an innovative suite of litigation funding solutions, in 2008, Addleshaw Goddard has been a pioneer of litigation funding and at the forefront of sharing risk with clients on large and complex commercial cases.
We are committed to working with our clients to identify and put in place the most appropriate funding and risk management solution for each individual case. Over the years we have formed strong relationships with the leading funders, insurers and brokers and gained a wealth of experience of how different funding options work in practice. Even if funding isn’t appropriate for a case, we offer a range of cost reduction options including fee caps and fixed fee arrangements, all with the aim of ensuring our clients have greater cost control and certainty.
Our R£GAIN™ product enables lenders to address large volumes of potential claims against solicitors and surveyors at no cost (if a case does not proceed) or at low cost (if it does). A portfolio of cases that proceeds can be dealt with under a Conditional Fee Agreement, with After the Event Insurance against the costs of losing the case, and under Pooled Recovery Arrangements that mean lender claimants pay no charges until recoveries are actually made, enhancing their cashflow, driving their costs down significantly and passing enhanced costs risks to defendant professionals, encouraging early settlement.
Competition Litigation remains one of Addleshaw Goddard's real strengths. We have one of the largest competition teams in the UK, which include over 20 specialists including a solicitor advocate. We also have an accredited and trained mediator.
Our Construction Dispute Resolution team has wide ranging experience of resolving every kind of construction and engineering dispute. Operating as part of Addleshaw Goddard's wider Construction Group, which has over 45 specialist lawyers, we work with all sides of the domestic and international construction industry.
What's in a name?
Our team has a proven track record of acting for a wide range of financial services clients in retail, corporate and investment banking, as well as for other providers of financial services, including asset finance companies, invoice discounters, mortgage lenders and short-term loan providers.
We are one of the few major UK law firms to have a specialist Health and Safety Group which is dedicated to all aspects of health and safety and its management.
Dispute avoidance and resolution for hedge funds
Our team specialises in the resolution of insurance and reinsurance disputes increasingly on behalf of policyholders, and also advises extensively on non-contentious issues.
Addleshaw Goddard's Intellectual Property Group is recognised as one of the leading intellectual property practices in the country.
Addleshaw Goddard's Product Liability team handle complex, multi-party, multi-jurisdictional cases for household brands and global names. We act for a broad range of national and international manufacturers of a variety of products, including pharmaceuticals, chemicals, consumer goods, food and drinks, motor vehicle and industrial equipment, and assist our clients in the management of the sensitive issues surrounding recalls and product liability.
Recent years have seen a substantial rise in the number of Court claims brought by clients against their professional advisers for compensation for negligent advice.
The team is made up of specialists from across all 3 offices and handles large-scale or complex disputes in the projects, PFI, outsourcing and procurement fields, for both public and private sector clients.
Addleshaw Goddard advises on all aspects of public/administrative law including proceedings for judicial review.
The legal lifecycle of a product.
A unique product for organisations who have suffered an information breach or who may be concerned about their potential exposure.